After you or a loved one undergoes knee replacement surgery, you must take crucial care in the first few days and weeks, post-surgery. After the surgeon has given clearance, and you take the patient home, you have to keep certain facts in mind for recovery from knee replacement surgery.
The Process Of Recovery From Knee Replacement
After surgery, medical staff will help the patient get up and walk as soon as possible. The process of healing depends on the overall the health of the patient. Usually, it will take 3 to 5 days for the patient to be discharged.
- A doctor may recommend patient to use a walking frame or crutch to walk, such that not much pressure is exerted in the knee. Typically, the patient can walk with a stick, one week after surgery.
- Prior to discharge, the patient will be educated on some basic exercises by the physiotherapist to help in the recovering of knee and getting strong.
Help For Patient
The patient needs help in some basic activities during the early phase of recovery:
- Moving from one point to another
- Wearing clothes
- Sitting down and getting up from the toilet
- Sitting down and standing up
Major Care Tips
Here are some tips to help care for someone who has undergone the surgery:
- Monitor medication
Make sure patient takes medication on time. It is good to visit a doctor during appointments and get advice on medication. You will learn how to monitor medication for warning signs of inflammation, swelling or fluid build-up. Consult a doctor if symptoms persist.
- Help in doing exercise
Healing will also depend on exercise. Sometimes, the patient may sense discomfort and wish to skip exercise. But doctors may insist that patient do exercise even when he is not up to it. But if the patient is in distress, consult a doctor immediately. Keep track of patient while she is exercising.
- Care for wound
The wound of the surgery must be carefully taken care of, to avoid infection. Keep the spot of incision dry, like till staples and pins are removed. This may take two weeks. But inform doctor in case of any swelling or redness.
Tips To Recover Fast From Knee Replacement Surgery
Here are some tips for healing after knee replacement surgery in India:
- Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol
- In case you have diabetes, check and keep sugar levels under control
- Do not keep ankle or leg over the operated spot
- Eat healthy and fresh food like whole grain items, low-fat dairy, lean meats, etc.
Signs and symptoms of infection after knee surgery
Keep in mind the following signs of danger, when you have to consult the doctor:
- Swelling and redness near the wound
- Constant fever
- Fluid build-up
- Discomfort in knee
- Tightness of chest or difficulty in breathing
- Shooting pain during activity or rest
Top Knee Replacement Hospitals In India
Hospitals in India are state-of-the-art facilities that are held to exacting standards. They are equipped with all of the facilities, knowledge, and research required to perform complex surgeries and procedures.Here is the list of best knee replacement hospitals in India.
Recovery from knee replacement at home
- Do De-cluttering of space:
Move rugs, furniture, electrical cords, out of the way of the patient. Do dusting and mopping much before surgery.
- Set up fall prevention fixtures
Install handrails, raised toilet seat, ramps in outdoor steps, change the texture of slippery floors, wear non-skid socks, install night lights and use walking devices till you are stable.
- Prepare an area for recovery
Arrange comfortable seating spot for spending all your time for recovery. Keep all things like reading glasses, cell phone, TV remote, water, etc. in easily reachable location.
- Change sleeping area
In case you need to deal with steps to reach your bedroom, make alternative arrangements for sleeping in your home.
These are all some tips on recovery from knee replacement surgery.