Exostosis Treatment in India
Exostosis is a medical condition characterized by a benign growth of a cartilaginous tissue on a pre-existing bone. Exostosis is also known as osteoma.
A patient with exostosis typically experiences chronic pain, which may range from mild to crippling severe. Exostosis treatment in India is quite popular among patients from abroad because of availability of world-class facilities and experienced surgeons who specialize in the management of the condition.
The course of treatment recommended by some of the best exostosis specialists in India depends on several factors. The specialist first makes an assessment of the condition of the patient to identify the location, shape, and size of the lesion. Most commonly, exostosis affects the ribs, shoulder, elbow, ankle, knee, and hip.
The best hospitals for exostosis treatment in India are located in all the major cities, including Delhi NCR, Chennai, Bangalore, and Mumbai. The hospitals that offer advanced services for exostosis treatment in India houses highly-qualified and experienced professionals to cater to the medical needs of the patients from different parts of the country and abroad.
The cost of exostosis treatment in India is quite affordable, especially in comparison to other countries in the world. The availability of state-of-the-art medical services at just a fraction of the cost has made India one of the favorite destinations in the world among patients from abroad.
Exostosis Treatment Hospitals in India
Exostosis treatment in India can be availed at all major multispecialty hospitals in the country. In addition, there is a large network of orthopedic hospitals in India that offer state-of-the-art exostosis treatment at an extremely affordable cost.
The best hospitals for exostosis treatment in India are globally renowned for offering the highest standard of healthcare services to all categories of patients. These services are not just availed to patients from different parts of the country but also to patients who decide to travel thousands of miles to seek high-quality and affordable exostosis treatment in India.
By choosing the best exostosis treatment hospital in India, the patients from abroad can stay rest assured of the quality of treatment and other services offered by the hospital team. The top hospitals for exostosis treatment in India have a dedicated department to address queries and concerns of the patients from different parts of the world.
The best exostosis treatment hospitals in India are known for offering all types of facilities – from diagnostic to rehabilitative – under a single roof. Therefore, once the patient is at the hospital, he or she can stay assured of end-to-end treatment facilities and should not worry about being transferred to another hospital for a procedure.
Best Exostosis Treatment Hospitals
Some of the best hospitals for Exostosis Treatment include the following:
Exostosis Treatment Cost in India
Exostosis treatment cost in India is difficult to determine, especially considering the fact that it is a complicated procedure. In addition, the extent of the surgery conducted to remove the growth depends on the type, location, and number of exostoses that the patient is suffering from.
This is the reason why hospitals like to determine the exact exostosis surgery cost in India only after the specialist has seen the patient. The exostosis treatment surgeon in India first sees the patient and identifies the type, size, and location of the lesion before preparing a personalized treatment plan. Once the extent of treatment needed is clear, only then it is possible to prepare an account of the estimated cost of exostosis treatment in India.
Even though it is initially difficult for the hospitals to provide an estimate of the final cost of exostosis treatment in India before the patient examination, patients can stay assured of the fact that the amount charged for exostosis treatment in India is much cheaper than any other country in the world.
It is estimated that exostosis treatment cost in India is as much as 80 percent less than what the hospitals charge in the Western countries, including the UK and the US. The difference in the cost of exostosis treatment in India reduces by just 10 percent when miscellaneous cost such as that of boarding, accommodation, and local traveling expenses are taken into account.
The reasonable exostosis treatment cost in India is one of the leading reasons behind the movement of patients from other countries to India. A majority of patients who decide to seek exostosis treatment in India hail from the Western and African countries, Afghanistan, the UAE, Canada, and Russia.
Need help finding the right hospital?
If you are not sure about which hospital to choose, consult our team for free. We will recommend a quality hospital for you and even get you comparative quotations from providers across the globe.
Exostosis Surgeons in India
Exostosis treatment largely depends on the exact location of the lesion and the number of lesions that the patient is suffering from. Each kind of exostosis is treated with the help of a different approach planned under the guidance of some of the best exostosis surgeons in India.
For example, an ENT surgeon handles the patient with surfer’s ear or paranasal sinus osteoma, whereas an orthopedic surgeon will look after the patient with Haglund’s deformity. Both of these disorders are a type of exostosis.
The best exostosis doctors in India first try to manage it with the help of a non-surgical approach. If the patient is not relieved through non-surgical intervention, then a surgical approach is recommended to the patient.
Even though the type of exostosis specialist in India you should approach to seek treatment depends on the exact location of the lesion, you can consult any experienced physician and he or she will guide you to the correct concerned person.
The best exostosis specialists in India are available at all the major multispecialty hospitals in the country. Most of these specialists have completed their education from some of the most renowned and prestigious healthcare universities in the world. Moreover, they have received their training at some of the top medical centers with state-of-the-art facilities and high-end technology.
The best surgeons for exostosis treatment in India hold a great experience in their respective fields. They are highly skilled and are renowned globally for their expertise and a great surgical record.
What is exostosis?
Exostosis, also known as osteosis, is a benign cartilaginous growth on a bony surface. Exostosis usually grows upward and is more commonly seen on the bones of the joints. Ribs are most commonly affected by exostosis, followed by other joints such as ankle, knee, elbow, shoulder, and hip. Exostosis rarely affects the skull.
Exostosis can be painless in some patients, while others may experience mild to severe pain. This condition most commonly affects the children.
There are two main medical reasons that cause exostosis – family history of the condition and trauma. In a majority of cases, exostosis does not show any symptom apart from the pain. In such cases, it is usually diagnosed during the medical checkup of the patient.
We make it easy for you to get quality medical opinions and find the right healthcare providers globally at best prices. Save even more money via our patient discount program! Certain procedures qualify for a Lyfboat discount. Inquire now to learn more!
✓ Compare top hospitals
✓ Save up to 80% on medical costs
✓ Price transparency, quick responses
✓ One click, multiple cost-estimates
✓ Get free second opinions from experts
Types of Exostosis
The following are the most common types of exostosis:
- Surfer’s ear: A bony growth inside the ear canal is referred as surfer’s ear. Decreased hearing or hearing loss is a common symptom for surfer’s ear. This condition increases the chances of an ear infection and may cause pain in the ear.
- Haglund’s deformity (foot): The patient suffering from Haglund’s deformity will feel the pain at the back of the heel. It usually develops when the heel gets rubbed against the stiff back of the shoe. It is also known as bump hump.
- Paranasal sinus osteoma: Air spaces surrounding the nose, also known as sinus cavity, shows abnormal growth of the bone in this case. The patient will often feel asymptomatic, but sometimes a small growth can cause immense pain either by blocking the sinus or by putting the pressure on the nearby nerve.
- Buccal exostosis (jaw): Buccal exostosis is characterized by an abnormal cartilaginous growth in the upper or lower jawbone. It is painless in most of the cases, but it may change the appearance of your face.
- Osteochondroma (leg, hip, shoulder): This condition is characterized by an abnormal growth of tissue on the bone of the leg, shoulder’s blade, and pelvic area. It usually affects the children as it is more likely to occur during the growth period.
- Hereditary multiple exostoses (HME): HME refers to an abnormality in the bone growth that generally results in protrusion of more than one bone. It is a rare condition and is usually seen in children. HME is a hereditary disorder and there are 50 percent chances that children born to parents with HME will also have this condition.
Exostosis Treatment Options in India
Surfer’s Ear Treatment in India
Surfer’s ear is usually treated with the help of a surgery. The ear surgeon uses a drill to remove the bone. The ear canal may be directly assessed with the help of a binocular microscope to keep the inner ear canal skin away from the drill. Another approach followed by ear surgeons is to make an incision behind the ear and dissect it in the forward direction.
Haglund’s Deformity Treatment in India
- Non-surgical approach: Haglund’s deformity without surgery will only remove bursitis. It does not help shrink the protrusion of the bone. The following non-surgical approaches can be used by the exostosis treatment doctors in India to treat Haglund’s deformity. These approaches can either be used independently or in combination.
- Eradicating the problem: The doctor may advise the patient not to use the shoes that may bruise the back of the heel.
- Medications: Medicines are given to relieve pain and inflammation. Either oral medicines such as anti-inflammatory drugs or a topical pain reliever is prescribed to the patient.
- Ice: An ice pack is applied to the affected area for 20 minutes to reduce the swelling.
- Exercises: Some stretching exercises are advised to the patient to relieve the tension in the muscles or the tendon.
- Heel lifts: Some patients are told to wear the heel lifts inside the shoes to decrease the pressure on the heel.
- Physiotherapy: Physiotherapist will suggest a set of appropriate stretching and strengthening exercises to decrease the pain and inflammation after identifying the biomechanical abnormalities.
Surgical approach: To provide complete relief from pain, a surgery may be advised to the patients. A surgery is usually preferred when the patient does not respond properly to the non-surgical approach. During the surgery, bony growth is removed by debriding the affected Achilles tendon and suturing it back using the bone anchors.
Paranasal Sinus Osteoma Treatment in India
In the case of paranasal sinus osteoma, the patient is advised to get the osteoma removed surgically if the symptoms are not managed with the help of medications and other non-surgical interventions.
Buccal Exostosis Treatment in India
In most of the cases, buccal exostosis does not require a treatment. The exostosis in this case can be traumatized. However, this may lead to periodontal disease, which can be further managed through proper non-surgical interventions. The patient can, however, opt for a surgery to get buccal exostosis removed in case it is problematic.
Osteochondroma and Hereditary Multiple Exostoses Treatment in India
Pain can be managed with the help of analgesics and physical therapy in patients with osteochondroma or HME. But if the exostosis is larger in size, it will result in a deformity in the bone. In worst cases, it may even compress the nerve. Under such circumstances, a surgery is required to treat the condition.
Osteochondroma and HME may, however, recur in patients even after the surgery. In some rare case, it may even give rise to cancer. Therefore, regular monitoring for exostosis in these patients is necessary to detect any tumor at an early stage.