10 Best Cancer Hospitals in India
Cancer is a term given to a group of diseases involving abnormal or uncontrolled growth of cells that may or may not spread to other parts of the body. There are more than a hundred types of cancer that affect human beings. Amongst these, the most common types are breast cancer, lung cancer and colorectal cancer. Every year, millions of new cases of cancer are reported worldwide. The fact sheet given by WHO reports that on the global scale, cancer has caused around 9.6 million deaths in 2018. With such a high mortality rate, it becomes critical to find excellent clinical care and first-rate facilities for cancer care at an economical rate.
On this page, we have summarized the remarkable features and facilities of the 10 best cancer hospitals in India, in order to help you select the best hospital for your treatment.
Here is a list of the 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in India with their specific features that sets them apart:
Opposite HUDA City Centre, Sector 44, Gurugram, Haryana – 122002
- FMRI is 1000 bedded multi-specialty tertiary care hospital with world class infrastructure, latest technology, JCI accreditation and a team of renowned doctors.
- The Fortis Cancer Institute is a centre of excellence for the hospital and makes it one of the best cancer hospitals in India. The oncology department is outfitted with the latest cancer care technology of the world and a multi-disciplinary team of doctors and medical staff to deliver comprehensive medical care.
- The Department offers a wide range of services under the sub-specialties for Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Specialised Onco Surgery, Haematology – adult & paediatric, and Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT).
- The hospital caters to all kinds of cancer and specializes in the treatment of breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, gastrointestinal cancer, and head and neck cancer, brain and spinal cord tumours, ophthalmic oncology along with palliative medicine.
- The department is headed a panel of expert oncologists which include some of the best medical oncologists and surgical oncologists in India. The radiation oncologist at FMRI are highly renowned specialists with expertise and experience in cancer treatment.
- Some of the best oncologists in India work here, including: Dr. Niranjan Naik, Dr. Rajiv Yadav (uro-oncologist), Dr. Rahul Bhargava (Hematologist, Bone Marrow Transplantation)
Cancer care at FMRI:
- 20-bedded Chemo Daycare and 22-bedded BMT ICU
- Latest technologyElekta Axesse for radiation therapy & Da Vinci Robot for minimally invasive cancer Surgeries
- Published Cancer Registry and Surgical Outcomes
- Well-established Psycho-Oncology Programmes with support groups and expressive therapies.
- Cone beam CT, ExacTrac X-ray, EPID for precise imaging and diagnosis
- Integrated Brainlab system – A single system that integrates all the patient’s data – diagnostic evaluation, intraoperative images and videos. This information is readily available to the surgeons in the operating room.
- Monaco TPS with Monte Carlo dose calculation algorithm – It is the most accurate dose calculation that is available.
Press Enclave Road, Mandir Marg, Saket, New Delhi – 110017
- Max Super Specialty Hospital is one of the foremost medical facilities in India. With a capacity of more than 500 in-patient beds, the hospitals offers excellent out-patient and in-patient facilities under East Block and West block.
- Max Hospital is known for delivering best cancer treatment in India, based on the top of the class medical facilities, latest technology for cancer treatment and renowned specialists available at its oncology department – Max Institute of Cancer Care.
- The hospitals offer a wide variety of services with a combination of various treatment options including Chemotherapy, Radiation Therapy, Surgery and Targeted Therapy.
- The cancer facility is a centre of excellence of the hospital and the first in northern India to possess one of the world’s advanced technological systems – Novalis Tx for IMRT/IGRT, Radiosurgery, HIPEC and SRS/SRT.
- Some of the Best cancer specialists in India are associated with Max Hospital including the medical radiation oncologists, and top surgical oncologists in India.
- Dr. R Ranga Rao, Dr. Harit Chaturvedi, Dr. Gagan Gautam are most known oncologists in India that work at Max.
Cancer care at Max:
- Da vinci Robotic system for minimally invasive surgery for removal of tumor.
- Novalis Tx – non-invasive radiosurgery technique for IMRT, IGRT, SRS/SRT procedures
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) – delivers chemotherapy treatment directly into the abdomen during surgery. The procedure treats tumors in the abdominal (peritoneal) lining that stem from colon, gastric, ovarian, appendix tumors, mesothelioma and other cancers.
- 12 chemo chairs/recliners and 3 patient beds
- Specializes in Breast, Head and Neck, Lung, Gastrointestinal and Hematology Oncology
- Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit
CH Baktawar Singh Road, Sector 38, Gurugram, Haryana – 122001
- Medanta is a leading multi-specialty hospital offering medical care under out-patient, in-patient and critical care facilities.
- The 1250 bedded facility has world-class infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities that cater to a large volume of domestic and international patients.
- Medanta’s Cancer Institute offers comprehensive care for all kinds of cancers under specialized divisions of Medical and Hemato-oncology for treatment of blood and other cancers, radiation oncology with latest radiotherapy techniques and organ-specific division including Breast services, Head and Neck oncology.
- The best cancer hospital in Delhi-NCR provides various services including Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant, Radiation Therapy for Bladder Cancer, Head and Neck Cancer, Brain Tumour, Thoracic region, Breast Cancer treatment, Craniospinal Irradiation, Mastectomy, Breast Conservation Surgery and many more.
Cancer care at Medanta:
- CyberKnife VSI Robotic Radiosurgery – One of the world’s latest cancer treatment technique with pin-point accuracy, that has enabled treatment of cancer that were earlier considered untreatable.
- Radiation therapy techniques – IGRT, Tomotheraphy H-D, Volumetric Arc Therapy
- High tech diagnostic and imaging equipment including 256 slice CT scan, PET scan,and more
- Integrated Brachytherapy Unit
- Da Vinci Robotic System – advanced surgical technique which provides more accuracy for the surgery
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy/Stereotactic Radiation Surgery – delivers a high dose of radiation precisely to the targeted cells, preventing healthy tissues from damage
Sarita Vihar, Delhi Mathura Road, New Delhi – 110076
- Indraprastha Apollo is the flagship hospital of Apollo Healthcare Group, the forerunner medical group of India. It is also one of the most chosen hospitals by international patients due to the high-end facilities and top surgeons working here.
- The Apollo Cancer Centre is known to provide the best cancer care in India. It is a state-of-the art facility that offers comprehensive clinical care for all kinds of cancer.
- The hospital houses some of the world’s most updated technologies, for instance the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System, Novalis Tx, 3-D imaging for diagnostics and many more. Da Vinci is a robotic system that enables the surgeon to perform complicated surgeries with more ease and precision.
- The centre has a six bedded unit with HEPA – filtered laminar airflow and a high-end stem cell processing unit for advanced procedures. The pediatric oncology unit at this hospital is well established with latest diagnostic and surgical systems.
- NovalisTx with Exact Trac is also an advanced technology under Frameless Radiosurgery and Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy. It is used to treat various kinds of cancer with greater accuracy and in the region which are not easily accessible through conventional surgery.
Cancer care at Apollo:
- Breast cancer – Mammographic localization of small microscopic lesions and sentinel node biopsy.
- da Vinci Robotics Surgery – advanced surgical system which helps the surgeon to perform surgery with more precision and accuracy
- Frameless Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) – focus radiation beam of the target tissues of the brain with high precision
- Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) – focus high dose of radiation precisely on cancer cells anywhere in the body
- Radiation therapy with Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT), Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT), 3D Conformal Radiotherapy
- High Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery including Micro vascular reconstruction of flap, Thoracoscopic & Laparoscopic surgery in staging and diagnosis
Near Unitech Cyber park, Sector 51, Gurgaon, Haryana
- Artemis is one of the top cancer hospitals in India, has a capacity of 400 beds and offer excellent healthcare services across all major specialties.
- The Artemis Cancer Care is a state-of-the-art facility with updated technology, advanced diagnostic equipment, modular OTs, and other specialized units.
- The centre has a team of renowned cancer specialist with expertise in specialties of Medical, Radiation and surgical oncology. A highly trained medical support staff with specialized cancer care nurses ensures full care of the patient.
- The hospitals also offers special services and facilities for international patients and has an easy accessibility from airport and local transportation.
- The centre is affiliated to several international and national research organizations for clinical research trials.
Cancer care at Artemis:
- CT Digital X-Ray/Fluoroscopy
- Multi-slice Cardiac CT-64 Slice
- BMD- Dexa Scan
- Interventional Radiology
- 3D-4D Ultrasound/Doppler
- PET-CT- Brain, whole body and cardiac
- Gamma camera imaging including Stress thallium
Get Free Assistance from Best Cancer Hospitals in India
Pusa Rd, Radha Soami Satsang, Rajendra Place, New Delhi, Delhi 110005
- BLK Super Specialty Hospital is a forerunner tertiary care medical facility with 650 beds and range of services across all major specialties.
- BLK Cancer Centre (BLKCC) offers a one-stop solution for cancer patients as it offers a range of comprehensive services for cancer care with a combination of chemo, radiation and immunotherapy.
- The centre specializes in Head & Neck Oncology, Breast Oncology, Gynae-Oncology, GI Oncology, Uro-Oncology, Thoracic Oncology and Paediatric Oncology.
- The hospital has a multi-disciplinary team of expert cancer doctors including medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgeons, neuro-oncologists, uro-oncologists
- The centre is equipped with the latest technology in cancer treatment and advanced radiation techniques. BLKCC has been the Asia’s first and world’s seventh centre to have Cyberknife technology.
Cancer care at BLK Hospital:
- 100 dedicated beds
- Cyber-knife VSI ®
- latest generation PET CT Scan
- Trilogy Tx Linear Accelerator, offering state-of-the-art IGRT, IMRT, 3DCRT, Stereotactic RT and High Dose RateBrachytherapy
- 3D Conformal Radiation Therapy (3DCRT)
- Gammamed ix High Dose Rate brachytherapy unit
- Minimal Invasive Surgery for Gynaecological Cancers
Vasundhara Enclave, Near New Ashok Nagar Metro Station, Dallupura, New Delhi, Delhi – 110096
- Dharamshila Narayana Super Specialty Hospital is a unit of Dharamshila Cancer Foundation and Research Centre and is one of the best hospitals for cancer treatment in India.
- The hospital has a dedicated approach towards cancer care and provides state-of-the-art facilities under the centres of excellence for organ specific divisions – Head and Neck Cancer Centre, Breast Cancer Centre, Lung Cancer Centre, Gastrointestinal Cancer Centre, Prostate & Genitourinary Cancer Centre, Gynaecological Cancer Centre, Haematology, Haemato-Oncology & Bone Marrow Transplantation
- There are sub-specialty centres at the hospital including Medical Oncology Centre, Surgical Oncology centre and Radiation Oncology Centre. These centres offer out-patient, in-patient and daycare services to a large number of patients on a regular basis.
- The centres offer cost-effective one-stop destination for treatment of cancer and provides personalised care regime to the patient based on in-depth evaluation by the expert doctors.
- The team of surgeons and cancer specialists at the hospital is highly renowned and experienced in new techniques of surgery and radiation therapy.
Cancer care at Dharamshila Narayana:
- Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation – The 21 bedded BMT centre with BMT Research Lab and Transfusion
- Linear Accelerators – Triple Energy Linear Accelerators with VMAT technology for IMRT, IGRT, SRS /SRT, SBRT and Respiratory Gated Radiotherapy
- High-tech Radiotherapy Treatment Planning Systems including Monaco with Monte Carlo Algorithm, ERGO++, CMS Xio and Eclipse
- Brachytherapy – Microselectron Digital (HDR-V3) Brachytherapy, High dose rate Brachytherapy (Microselectron with Ir-192 source)
Best Cancer hospitals in Mumbai
Rao Saheb Achutrao Patwardhan Marg, Four Bunglows, Andheri (West), Mumbai – 400053
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital is a world-class medical facility and the only hospital in Mumbai with four accreditation – JCI, CAP (USA), NABH and NABL.
- The hospital has a well-established Centre for Cancer that combines the practice of personalized patient care with the expertise of renowned cancer doctors.
- A comprehensive range of services are offered to patients for all kinds of cancers, including solid tumours and blood related diseases. The cancer services also covers public education, screening, diagnosis, treatment as well as pain management and palliative care.
- The latest technologies available at the centre of the world’s most updated cancer systems. The centre was the first in India to have advanced technologies such as Triology and Edge Radiosurgery system.
- The services offered include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, Bone Marrow transplantation, surgery for removal of various kinds of cancer.
Cancer care at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital:
- Day Care Chemotherapy Unit – patients can go home the same day after the treatment.
- Minimal Access Surgery and Robotic Surgery for treatment of most types of cancers
- Trilogy for radiotherapy
- EdgeTM – Asia’s first Radiosurgery and Radiation Therapy equipment for Cancer Treatment
- Novalis Tx – a sophisticated radiosurgery technique
- Gammamed plus
- Latest PET Scan for precise diagnosis
Best Cancer hospitals in Bangalore
67, Uttarahalli Main Rd, Sunkalpalya, Kengeri, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560060
- BGS Gleneagles Hospital is a multispecialty hospital providing tertiary care across all major medical disciplines.
- The hospital provides best cancer treatment in Bangalore under the
- Surgical Oncology Department offers multi super specialty organ specific cancer care for various kinds of cancers. The department also offers services for Paediatric Haemato Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation.
- Radiation Oncology Department at BGS Gleneagles Hospital is equipped with advanced radiation therapy delivery systems.
- Medical Oncology Department is a full-fledged facility with the latest technology and headed by best cancer doctors in Bangalore.
- Department of Breast Oncology provides advanced breast care including services for Breast conservation surgery, Oncoplastic breast cancer surgery, breast Imaging, hormone therapy, targeted therapy, Lymphedema breast screening.
Cancer care at BGS Gleneagles:
- TrueBeam STx – for delivering accurate & precise radiotherapy for Cancer treatment
- Rapid ARC (volumetric modulated ARC therapy)
- 3D conformal radiotherapy (3DCRT)
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy for spine, liver, prostate and pancreatic Tumours
- Hybrid VMAT for bilateral breast cancers
- High dose rate Brachytherapy
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for precise delivery of radiation to only the cancer cells, with minimal harm to the surrounding healthy tissue
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) For Peritoneal Surface Malignancies
Best Cancer hospitals in Chennai
439, Medavakkam Road, Perumbakkam, Cheran Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600100
- Gleneagles Global Health City is one of the top hospitals in Chennai and the largest healthcare facility of the renowned group of Gleneagles Global Hospitals India.
- The 1000 bedded hospital has latest technological support, state-of-the-art infrastructure and global standard of clinical care.
- The Department of Surgical Oncology of Global Cancer Institute (GCI) at Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai offers end to end Cancer care services including treatment, management of the disease and rehabilitation.
- The cancer specialists at the hospital are highly qualified and skilled medical professional with vast experience and experience in treating various kinds of cancers.
- The hospital provides reliable and effective treatment in the organ specific specialties of Breast, Gastrointestinal, Lung, Head & Neck, Gynaec, Genito-urinary, Spinal Column, Soft Tissue, Bone and Benign tumours
Cancer care at Global Hospital:
- True beam STx machine
- 3D conformal radiotherapy (3DCRT)
- Intensity modulated radiotherapy ((IMRT)
- Image guided radiotherapy (IGRT)
- Rapid ARC – volumetric modulated ARC therapy technique
- Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), including intensity modulated radiosurgery and image guided radiosurgery (IGRS)
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy for brain cancer treatment
- Hybrid VMAT for bilateral breast cancers, head & neck cancers
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy for treatment of cancers of spine, liver, prostate and pancreatic
Cancer is a term given to a group of diseases involving abnormal or uncontrolled growth of cells that may or may spread to other parts of the body. There are more than a hundred types of cancer that affect human beings. Amongst these, the most common types are breast cancer, lung cancer and colorectal cancer. Every year, millions of new cases of cancer are reported worldwide. The fact sheet given by WHO reports that on the global scale, cancer has caused around 9.6 million deaths in 2018. With such a high mortality rate, it becomes critical to find excellent clinical care and first-rate facilities for cancer care at an economical rate.
With new technological advancements of past decades, cancer treatment has evolved significantly to provide treatment methods with better success rates. The choice of treatment for any particular cancer depends on several factors, such as the location of the tumour, how much it has spread, the type of cells affected, the patient’s overall health as well as other any underlying conditions.
Typically Doctors will recommend one or more of the below treatment options to treat the cancer:
- Surgery: It is one of the primary treatments for many kinds of cancer. The aim of surgery is to remove the tumor either completely or as much as possible. Surgery is also done for diagnosis
- Chemotherapy: In chemotherapy, patients are given a combination of drugs that kill cancer.
- Radiation therapy: In this type of therapy, high-energy beams of radiation are used to destroy cancer cells. Radiation therapy can be delivered by a machine from outside the body (external beam radiation), or it can be placed inside the body (brachytherapy).
- Target based therapy: Targeted drug therapy targets specific abnormalities within cancer cells which allows them to grow, divide and spread. This enables the doctor to specifically target tumor cells and prevents damage to healthy cells.
- Immunotherapy: This is also known as biological therapy. In this treatment, the body’s immune system is used to fight cancer. Immunotherapy aims at enhancing the immune system to recognize cancer as a target and destroy it.
- Hormone therapy: This treatment involves the use of medicines that can block certain hormones and control their effects in the body. This can be used to reduce or stop the growth of cancer cells in cases of prostate and breast cancer.
- Bone marrow transplant: Stem cells, usually taken from patient’s own bone marrow or from a matched donor, are used to restore blood-forming cells in cancer patients who have been treated with high doses of chemotherapy or radiation therapy
Frequently asked Questions (FAQs) about Cancer Treatment in India
Q. Why choose to undergo cancer treatment in India?
For medical tourists, India is a highly favourable destination for cancer treatment. There are many benefits of choosing India for medical travel, the foremost being the highly reasonable cost of cancer treatment with no compromise on the quality of services and clinical excellence. Several Top Hospitals in India are world renowned medical centres that provide tertiary care services with top-class infrastructure and outstanding facilities.
These hospitals offer comprehensive care with combinations of cancer treatment options including surgical intervention, radiation, chemotherapy and others, along with supportive and palliative care.
The cancer care team at these hospitals is comprised of multi-disciplinary specialists including radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, surgical oncologists and others. The doctors in India are highly sought after on a global level and have vast experience as well as expertise in the field of medicine. They are trained in advanced techniques and have experience of treating different kinds of cancers.
Q. How to choose the best cancer hospital in India?
As India has a thriving healthcare industry with many private and government hospitals, it might be difficult to decide which hospital to choose, especially as a foreign patient.
There a number of factors that must be considered while making such decisions. Here, we have listed some of the important points you should be looking at while choosing the best hospital for cancer treatment in India:
- Standard of the hospital: For this, look for the accreditation given to the hospitals. Two of the most important ones are Joint Commission International (JCI) and National Board for Hospitals and healthcare providers. These organizations certify the hospitals based on their quality of services, staff, equipment, infrastructure & hygiene maintenance
JCI is a globally recognized organization in the United States of America that felicitates accreditation to hospitals and other healthcare organisations. The hospitals accredited by JCI maintain an international standard for services, administration, and performance.
NABH is India’s highest benchmark for quality clinical services at a hospital or healthcare system. In order to be accredited by NABH, the hospital must have stringent safety and quality standards.
- Facilities International Patients: If you are travelling from abroad, one of the important things to look for is the International patient department and the services they offer for example airport pick-up & drop, translator/ language interpreter, global cuisine and currency exchange facilities,
- Latest technology: Cancer treatment today is highly advanced and involves usage of next-generation technology which enables treatment of all kinds of cancer with high success rate. The hospital must have high-end technological support, latest diagnostic, surgical and radiation therapy techniques to ensure the safety and success of the procedure.
- Panel of doctors: The hospital should have a multidisciplinary team of experts specialized in various specialized branches of cancer treatment, namely –
If you want to know more about the best cancer specialists in India, click top 15 oncologists in India across the major cities of Delhi, Gurgaon, Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai and others.
- Location and accessibility: You must consider connectivity and location of hospitals, especially in terms of distance from international airport, railway station and roads.
- Cost: The cost of cancer treatment can vary on multiple factors including the medical condition of the patient, treatment method you opt for, the location of the hospital and experience of the surgeon
For effective treatment of any kind of cancer, it is crucial to choose a reputed and well-established hospital having all the above factors.