10 Best Hip Replacement surgeons in India
Hip replacement is one of the most popular joint replacement surgeries worldwide. The new advancements in surgical technology and implant quality have raised the success rate of hip replacement even higher. Now, even the young patients have indicated hip replacement when there is a need and if they fulfill the criteria.
The minimally invasive technique has decreased the hospitalization to one day and reduced the overall recovery and healing time as well. The robotic-assisted hip replacement in India has an excellent success rate as it improves the precision with robot arms.
India is home to several world-renowned orthopedic surgeons who specialize in hip replacement surgeries. There are many pioneers and leading surgeons who have introduced new technology and instrumentation. Several have a long-standing experience of performing these procedures at highly reputed hospitals, including international experience.
However, it could be a challenge to choose the best doctor for treatment, especially when they are traveling from abroad for the surgery. A patient must consider certain factors before finalizing a doctor. These include:
- Qualification and credentials (degrees and specializations from recognized universities)
- Years of experience
- Number of surgeries performed
- The facilities and accreditations of the hospital they work at
- Special achievements and awards
A patient may even have an initial consultation and get opinions from multiple surgeons before choosing to undergo the procedure. It is major surgery and has some risks, even though the advanced technology has reduced the rate of complications.
Here is a list of the best orthopedic doctors in India who offer hip replacement surgeries, along with their career details.
Top hip replacement surgeons in India
|Dr. Subhash Jangid|
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
|Dr. Ashok Rajgopal|
Medanta – The Medicity
|Dr. Ramneek Mahajan|
Max Super Speciality Hospital Saket, New Delhi
|Dr. SKS Marya||Max Super Speciality Hospital Saket, New Delhi|
|Dr. IPS Oberoi|
Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
|Dr. Yash Gulati|
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi
|Dr. B. K. Singh|
Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
|Dr. Dinshaw Pardiwala|
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
|Dr. Aashish Chaudhary|
Aakash Healthcare Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi
|Dr. Bhushan Nariani|
BLK Super Specialty Hospital
- Dr. Subhash Jangid is widely renowned as the best orthopedic surgeon in India. His expertise mainly includes joint replacement, arthroplasty, Minimally Invasive orthopedic surgery, and osteoarthritis treatment, among many more.
- He is currently working as the Director and HOD of the Department of Orthopedics and Joint Reconstruction at Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon.
- Dr. Subhash is also a visiting faculty at Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital at Nnewi, Nigeria, and trains orthopedic surgeons in Arthroplasty procedures.
- He has successfully treated many patients from various countries, including the Gulf region, Europe and USA. Dr. Subhash has been associated with many reputed hospitals of the country, including Artemis hospital and Primus hospital in Delhi.
- He has completed his post-graduation in Orthopaedics from the most prestigious medical institution of the country – All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, which has an acceptance rate of <1%. He ranked as the best orthopedic department in India and topped his batch in December 2002. Dr. Subhash further did his Senior Residency in the same institute to enhance his surgical skills for three years.
- He is also actively involved in research work and academics with many multinational surgical companies and institutions.
- He has vast experience of 20000 surgeries in the field of Orthopedics.
- A pioneer and one of the most experienced joint replacement surgeons in the use of computer navigation techniques in the world. This is an advanced technique used for joint replacement surgeries and gives better results and faster recovery rates as compared to the conventional technique. It has increased the accuracy of the surgery and is truly a minimally invasive surgery with almost painless recovery.
- Dr. Subhash has performed more than 6500 successful joint replacement surgeries till date. He is also the first surgeon in India to use Bone graft substitutes for the treatment of tumor patients.
- He was involved in the development of protocols for patient management post-surgery for knee and hip replacement procedures.
- He was a part of the team which was responsible for setting up the bone bank at the renowned All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal is currently the Group Chairman of the Institute Of Musculoskeletal Disorders and Orthopaedics at Medanta – The Medicity.
- He is globally acclaimed for his tremendous and successful work in the field of orthopedics. In his vast medical career of over 32 years, he has performed more than 30,000 joint replacement surgeries for patients from all around the country and abroad.
- He is the first surgeon to perform bilateral surgery and minimally invasive total knee replacement surgery in India.
- Dr. Rajgopal has studied at the most prestigious national and international medical institutions, including All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Armed Forces Medical College, University of Liverpool, and Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh.
- He is a pioneer in the field of orthopedics who has been involved in designing and developing instruments for Minimally Invasive Total Knee Replacement surgery which is now being used all across the world.
- He is a member of many renowned medical associations, including the Indian Arthroscopy Association. He is the Founder Member, Vice President & President Elected and Past President of Indian Hip and Knee society & Founder Secretary of Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society
- The prestigious Padma Shri Award presented by the President of India for his surgical excellence and contribution to the field of Orthopaedics – 2014
- Vishishita Chikitsa Ratan – 2012
- Lifetime award by Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS) – 2016
- Distinguished Service Award by Delhi Doctor Association – 2004
- Knee Ratna Award by Indian Medical Association, New Delhi – 2002
Connect with Experts & Get a Free Personalized Quote
- Dr. Ramneek Mahajan is a renowned orthopedic surgeon in Delhi and currently works as Senior Director of the Department of Orthopedics & Head Joint Reconstruction (Hip & Knee) Unit at Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket.
- He has performed more than 5000 Joint Replacements, 10000 arthroscopic surgeries, and more than 30000 other Orthopedic & Spine surgeries in his extensive medical career of over 20 years.
- Dr. Ramneek has a key interest in the procedures – Primary, Revision Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy. He is an expert in minimally invasive hip replacement surgeries and has extensive knowledge and experience in this area, including unparalleled 500 joint replacement surgeries in just one year in 2015.
- He has obtained his medical education from top institutions in the country and abroad, including Fellowship in Joint Replacement from Singapore General Hospital, The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane and Puttlingen Hospital, Germany.
- He has worked as Senior Consultant at Fortis Hospital, Shalimar Bagh and Vasant Kunj, and as HOD of Orthopedics department at Nova Special Hospital in Delhi before joining Max Hospital, Saket.
- Dr Ramneek is a lifetime member of Indian Orthopaedic Association, Indian Federation Of Sports Medicine and Indian Arthroscopy Society.
- Performed more than 5000 Joint Replacements
- 10000 arthroscopic surgeries to his credit
- Performed over 30000 other Orthopedic & Spine surgeries.
- Best Thesis Award in M.Ch. Degree.
- Award for Entrepreneurship at saluting the spirit of Entrepreneurship- North India, March 2016.
- Prestigious “Sushruta award” in November 2017.
- Awarded “Rising Star- Orthopedics” by Times Group in Healthcare Achievers Program, 2017, New Delhi
- Awarded “IMA TIGER”- National Award at IMA Men’s Health project launch on 29th July 2018, New Delhi
- Dr. Sanjiv Kumar Marya ranks as one of senior-most and top orthopedic surgeons in India. He is presently working as the Chairman & Chief Surgeon – Orthopaedics & Joint Replacement.
- He has a vast clinical experience of over 35 years, in which he has performed numerous orthopedic procedures including over 20,000 joint replacements of knees, hips, shoulders, toes, and finger joints. In this, his team has been a part of 3000 hip replacement surgeries.
- He specializes in the areas of Joint Replacement Surgery for upper and lower limb joints, including both Primary and Revision surgery. His expertise also spans Trauma Management based on AO Principles.
- Dr. Marya has obtained several fellowships from internationally renowned institutions, including the Fellowship of International College of Surgeons from the USA and the coveted AO Trauma Fellowship from Switzerland. He is also a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS).
- Dr. Marya has been honored with a distinguished service award by Indian Medical Association (New Delhi) along with the Heart Care Foundation of India
- He has also received other awards such as the Bharat Jyoti Award (Glory of India Award), BN Sinha Meritorious Award and Knee Ratna Award is given by WCFI, IHA (Delhi).
- He was awarded Praman Patra from the Punjab Government.
- Dr. I.P.S. Oberoi is one of the best knee replacement and hip replacement surgeons in India and is the Director – Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy at Artemis hospital, Gurgaon.
- He is amongst the first few surgeons to perform minimally invasive reconstructive surgery, Keyhole surgery approach (Arthroscopy) for Shoulder, Elbow, Hip and Ankle.
- He is a recognized expert in the treatment of multi-ligament and complex injuries of the knee and hip. Dr. Oberoi has performed more than 7000 joint replacements with an excellent success rate.
- He has completed training in joint replacement and adult reconstructive trauma surgery from Queen Elizabeth Hospital, (U.K), and Hannover, Germany.
- Dr. Oberoi has also been trained in shoulder surgery at Center Hospitalier, St Gregoire, Rhein, France and Cape Shoulder Clinic, Cape Town, South Africa. He also completed training in knee arthroscopy and reconstruction from Sporthopaedicum, Straubing, Germany and Rosebank Clinic, Johannesburg, South Africa
- He has numerous publications in Joint Replacement, Arthroscopy and Sports injury-related text books, journals. He has also been involved in preparing manuscripts for Arthroscopy education for young orthopedic doctors.
- He is one of the first and amongst only a few surgeons to start minimally invasive reconstructive surgery which is Key Hole Surgery (Arthroscopy) for Shoulder, Elbow, Hip and Ankle problems. In addition, has mastered techniques of managing Multi-Ligament and complex injuries of the Knee.
- He has significant international experience of training and working in the field of orthopedics and joint replacement from top medical institutions in Germany, U.K., France and South Africa.
- He is a visiting surgeon to Al Tawara Medical / Teaching hospital, Ministry of Health, Sanna, Yemen, and also to the Military Hospital, Sanna, Yemen. He has also been invited as a surgeon in medical schools and hospitals in Iraq, Iran, Oman and Syria.
- Dr. Yash Gulati is an acclaimed orthopedic surgeon who is recognized worldwide for his work and contributions in this field. He is currently associated with one of the top hospitals in India – Indraprastha Apollo, New Delhi.
- He has been honored with one of the highest civilian awards in India, the Padma Shri, by the President of India for his services in the field of Orthopedics.
- Dr. Gulati has a deep knowledge and expertise in Primary & Revision Knee & Hip Replacement with experience of over 20 years and numerous surgeries with excellent results.
- He has been invited to the Golden Jubilee Conference of Indonesia to perform a live demonstration of Knee Replacement and Hip Replacement Surgery. He holds the credit for performing the largest series of Total Hip Replacement for Sickle Cell Disease in India and has treated the youngest patient with Total Hip Replacement.
- He has also treated many of the prominent sports stars of India and was the Honorary Consultant to the Sports Authority of India for treating and advising national players.
- Honorary awards including the Padma Shri by Govt. of India and Commendation from President – Indian Orthopaedic Association, Delhi Orthopaedic Association and International President of Lions Club.
- He has operated on the former Prime Minister of India, treated three Presidents of India, and performed surgery on family members of the President and Prime Minister of Mozambique, many Ambassadors and prominent personalities.
- He has been the President of the Delhi Orthopaedic Association 2013
- Dr. Gulati has performed the largest series of Total Hip Replacement for Sickle Cell Disease in India including treating the youngest patient for Total Hip Replacement
- He also received Romesh Chander – Best Doctor Award for service to the elderly.
- Dr. B K Singh is one of India’s most experienced and renowned orthopedic surgeons who specialize in joint replacement operations. He is currently the Associate Director at Artemis Hospital, one of the best orthopedic hospitals in the Delhi region.
- In his vast medical career, he has performed over 5000 Arthroplasty surgeries and many hip resurfacing with computer navigation, Bilateral Hip Replacement and Knee replacements, and many others.
- Dr. Singh has completed training in Robotic Total Knee Replacement and Robotic Total Hip Replacement surgeries from Japan. He is one of the few and most successful orthopedic surgeons in India to perform such procedures.
- He is a teacher and post-graduate examiner at Pune University, Delhi University and DNB for Orthopedics.
- He is acclaimed for being a pioneer in the Uni condylar knee replacement procedure, which is a less invasive surgical alternative to total knee replacement.
- He is a recipient of the Vishist Sewa Medal by the President of India in 2005, for his outstanding contribution in the field of Joint Replacement surgery.
- He is the President of Delhi Orthopaedic Association (DOA) 2004
- Dr. Dinesh Pardiwala is reputed among the best orthopedic surgeons in Mumbai. He is currently working as the Director of the department of Arthroscopy, Sports Orthopaedics & Shoulder Service and Head of the Centre for Sports Medicine at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital.
- Dr. Pardiwala has performed over 1600 surgeries and more than 3000 Arthroscopic surgeries at Kokilaben Hospital alone. He is renowned for excellent outcomes that surpass international standards.
- He is a leader in the field of orthopedics and introduced Osteochondral Autograft Transfer in 1999, and Osteochondral Allograft Transplants in 2001. He has performed the first fibrin-based Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation using the Cartilage Stem Cell Transplant technique in India in 2008.
- Dr. Dinshaw is the only orthopedic surgeon in India who was a part of a group of top 10 international surgeons invited to perform a live demonstration for Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery at the ISAKOS Congress, Toronto, Canada.
- He is highly credited for several breakthrough surgeries including the first Reverse Shoulder Replacement in India and the first Stem Cell Transplant (Autologous Chondrocyte Stem Cell transplant) for the repair of the damaged knee. He is also the first surgeon to perform Navigation guided arthroscopic ACL repair in India.
- He is the first Indian Surgeon to be invited to Seoul to perform a live surgical demonstration at the Korean Orthopaedic Association Conference.
- Dr. Aashish Chaudhry is a leading orthopedic surgeon with more than 15 years of experience. His expertise in the field of Robotic TKR (Total Knee Replacement), Partial Knee Replacement and THR (Total Hip Replacement) are remarkable.
- He is one of the best joint replacement surgeons in New Delhi and is currently the Head of Orthopaedics and Joint Replacement at Aakash Healthcare Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi.
- He specializes in joint replacement surgery, and the use of robot-assisted minimally invasive surgical techniques in joint replacement. Dr. Aashish is reputed as the top joint replacement doctor in Delhi who has treated patients with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other degenerative diseases of the knee.
- He has been actively participating and attending workshops, training programs, conferences and seminars nationally and internationally, including the AADO OLC Stryker Advanced Trauma Cadaveric (Upper Limb Injury) Workshop at Orthopaedic Learning Centers of The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Dr. Aashish has obtained medical training from top institutions including Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi. He has also trained from the world-renowned Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow, UK (MRCS).
- He is trained and skilled in the use of the robotic system for joint replacement surgery, which helps in faster recovery and fewer post-operative complications.
- Gold Medal in Physiology and Forensic Medicine by Delhi University for Highest Marks in these subjects
- Distinction in Physiology
- Dr. Bhushan Nariani is an experienced doctor specializing in orthopedic and joint replacement surgery. He is the Director – Joint replacement at the Institute of Bone, Joint Replacement, Orthopedics Spine & Sports Medicine, Max BLK Super Specialty Hospital.
- He is one of the best joint replacement surgeons in Delhi, with expertise in knee replacement and hip replacement – primary, complex and revision surgeries. Dr. Bhushan Nariani also specializes in general trauma surgery, complex revision arthroplasty and joint reconstruction.
- He is skilled and trained in the latest technologies in the field of orthopedics, such as computer navigation systems for knee replacement and minimally invasive hip replacement.
- He has obtained several national and international fellowships and trained in advanced courses. This includes training in an advanced course in Total Joint Replacement (Impaction Bone Grafting) from the Netherlands. He has a fellowship in Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy in Adelaide at Flinders University, Liverpool Hospital and in Fairfield Geriatric Hospital in Sydney; Fellowship in Total Hip Replacement in Putlingon University from Germany and Fellowship in Revision Total Joint Replacement at Hamburg, Germany.
- Dr. Bhushan is credited for performing 900 joint replacement surgeries every year with an excellent outcome record.
- He is a visiting Fellow for Joint Replacement Surgery at Spire Southampton Hospital, Southampton, London.