Top 10 Bariatric Surgeons in India
Due to rapid lifestyle changes, unhealthy dietary habits and lack of physical activity in daily lives of people, a large part of the world population is suffering from lifestyle disorders such as obesity. It is now becoming a global epidemic, not only confined to the urban elite anymore but a common issue in all categories. There has been a world-wide increase in the cases of obesity, in fact, according to WHO reports it has nearly tripled since 1975.
So here comes the role of bariatric surgery, popularly known as weight loss surgery. The procedure is an effective and successful method that has shown significant improvement in the quality of life of people with obesity and related problems.
Why is Bariatric surgery required?
Surgery is usually considered a method of treatment for people who are excessively overweight and are unable to lose surplus weight through other diet and measures. Medical procedures used for weight loss are collectively known as bariatric surgeries.
Morbid obesity is a condition in which a person’s Body Mass Index or BMI (calculated using height and weight) is more than 35. This condition not only affects the quality of life of the person, but is also linked to decreasing lifespan by 13-20 years in affected individuals. In addition to affecting the person’s life expectancy, obesity causes many other health risks, including:
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease: heart stroke and high blood pressure
- Musculoskeletal problems: degenerative disease of the joints (Osteoarthritis)
- Some types of cancer including breast cancer
- Sleep apnea
- Kidney diseases
Pregnant women with obesity problems may suffer from complications that can cause further health problems in the mother as well as child.
Bariatric surgery is an effective and durable method to improve weight-related medical problems. Surgical intervention for weight loss results in reduction of the stomach size with a gastric band or through removal of a portion of the stomach (sleeve gastrectomy or biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch) or by rerouting the small intestine into a small stomach pouch (gastric bypass surgery).
There are many benefits of bariatric surgery for patients with obesity and associated medical conditions, including:
- Can lead to 60-80% loss of weight by restricting food consumption
- Improvement in cardiovascular and heart diseases, by reducing the strain on the heart
- Helps manage or, at times, even cure Type 2 diabetes
- Treatment of obstructive sleep apnea
- May result in Improvement of fertility issues in many patients
- Helps manage obesity induces depression and anxiety
- Treat or prevent joint pain (arthritis) due to carrying excess weight
- Can reduce appetite and improve related hormones in the gut
Who is a candidate for weight loss surgery?
A person is eligible for bariatric surgery if he/she fulfils any one of the criteria mentioned below:
- BMI is more than 37.5 kg/m2
- BMI is more than 32 kg/m2 with at least one obesity associated comorbidity/complication
- Unmanageable Type II Diabetes
- Health conditions like Hypertension, Sleep apnea, Dyslipidemia, Gout, Osteoarthritis, Backache, PID, Male and Female infertility, PCOS/PCOD and others.
Are bariatric surgeons in India skilled to perform complex surgeries?
Bariatric Surgeons are the doctors who have skills and expertise in performing weigh-reduction surgeries.
The best bariatric surgeons in India are trained and skilled specialists with years of extensive experience in performing a breadth of weight-loss surgeries, including Gastric Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Bypass, Mini Gastric Bypass, Bilio-pancreatic diversion, and metabolic surgeries. They also have expertise in minimal access surgery techniques, such as Endoscopic surgery, Laparoscopy, Single incision surgery & robotic surgery for weight reduction.
A multidisciplinary team of doctors is involved in bariatric surgery at the top hospitals in India and includes the following specialists:
- Laparoscopic/ Bariatric Surgeon
- Cosmetic Surgeon
- Psychiatrist/Clinical psychologist
- Fitness expert
- Pulmonologist for problems, such as Sleep apnea or other sleep disorders
The top weight loss surgeons in India are renowned experts with medical qualifications from the best institutes of India and abroad. The doctors are supported by trained nurses and medical staff to ensure uncompromised care of the patients.
Weight reduction surgery is a major surgical procedure and must be carried out by a highly qualified doctor in order to have the best results.
To help you choose the top bariatric surgeon in India, we have enlisted some important factors and qualifications that they must possess. These are:
- Masters degree in General Surgery with specialization (M.Ch) in bariatric surgery
- Fellowships, such as DNB/FRCS/MRCS from reputed and international renowned institutions and medical facilities
- Training in advanced techniques like robotics and laparoscopy
- Multiple publications and paper presentations in indexed national and international medical journals
- A vast clinical experience of performing numerous weight loss surgeries
What are the facilities available at the Best Bariatric hospitals in India?
The hospitals in India are globally renowned medical centres that offer a combination of multidisciplinary services and excellent healthcare facilities at a highly economic price range. Bariatric surgery in India is offered by many top-tier hospitals with success rates comparable to international standards.
These hospitals have state-of-the art infrastructure and medical facilities that has brought the risk of surgical complications and infections to almost nil. The Bariatric department at many of the top hospitals is a centre of excellence in healthcare services with round-the-clock facilities. These departments provide holistic and personalized care to obese patients with the help of skilled medical experts and allied specialists along with the best dieticians in India.
The use of next generation Single Incision Laparoscopy surgeries and world’s most advanced Robotic surgical options have made Indian hospitals rank high among the top-rated Bariatric centers of the world.
- All types of Bariatric procedures are offered including: Gastric Ballooning, Gastric Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Bypass, Mini Gastric Bypass, Bilio-pancreatic diversion, and metabolic surgeries.
- Minimal invasive techniques for Bariatrics are available, such as endoscopic surgery, laparoscopy, single incision surgery & robotic surgery.
- Hospitals like Indraprastha Apollo are renowned for performing the World’s first Single Incision Revision Bariatric Surgery
- Scarless endoscopic revision gastroplasty technique for failed bariatric surgery
- High-tech diagnostic services, including 64 slice/126 CT scan, 1.5/3 Tesla MRI, fluoroscopy and endoscopy.
- Accredited laboratory facilities and 24X7 emergency services available
- Modular operation theatres equipped with latest technology for obesity surgery.
Why choose to have your weight loss surgery in India?
India is one of the most preferred destinations for weight loss surgery across the globe. Every year, thousands of people from various parts of the world, including the United States of America, United Kingdom, and African countries such as Kenya, Cameroon, Nigeria and many others visit the top bariatric hospitals in India.
There are several reasons that attributes to the India’s popularity for weight loss and other medical procedures. Amongst these, one of the most important reasons is the highly affordable cost of weight loss surgery in India with no compromise on quality of services. The best part is that even after including the expense for travelling, accommodation, and food charges during stay in India in addition to surgery cost, the total cost remains economical in comparison to other countries. On average, a person from the USA will be able to save around 40-50% of the money spent if they choose to undergo weight loss surgery in India.
Another important reason India is so popular for this type of treatment is that the best hospitals for weight loss surgery in India have international standard infrastructure and the latest medical technology for different types of weight loss surgeries.
The best bariatric surgeons in India are other reasons for which people travel to the country. The skills and knowledge of Indian doctors is world-famous and people especially seek out the surgeons in India for their surgery. In fact many indian surgeons are invited to other countries such as the U.A.E to perform these procedures.
Here is a list of the best Bariatric surgeons in India, in our opinion, with their special interest and achievements:
Qualifications: MBBS, MS – General Surgery,
- Dr. Ajay Kriplani is considered as one of the best Bariatric surgeons in Delhi and India. He has a vast experience of over 38 years of performing various kinds of surgeries with expertise in several modern techniques.
- He is credited for being the first surgeon in India to perform laparoscopic adrenalectomy and laparoscopic splenectomy. He is also acclaimed for performing North India’s first laparoscopic whipple pancreatico-dudodenectomy.
- He has been actively involved as an academician and has been invited for over 395 lectures and live demonstrations or orations at conferences across various cities in India and abroad including Rome, Hongkong, Malaysia, Singapore, Dubai, Nepal, and many others.
- He has acted as an organising chairman for over 10 National Conferences and academic courses. He is also involved in the medical training of surgeons in laparoscopic surgery, not just from India but neighboring countries such as Nepal, Afghanistan, Pakistan and others, as well.
- Dr. Kriplani is an acknowledged expert who has received more than 20 Awards and honours from reputed organizations.
- Distinguished Service Award from IMA Academy of Medical Specialities
- Best Citizens of India Award from International Publishing House, 2009
- Dr. B N Balakrishna Rao Oration – Laparoscopic surgery of the adrenal gland
- Dr. N Sethuraman Oration – Laparoscopic surgery of the adrenal gland
- Oration – Current concepts in Laparoscopic Management of Morbid Obesity
- Dr. S R Joglekar Award for Best Article- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Dr. Adarsh Chaudhary is a famous and highly acclaimed GI surgeon in India.
- He has performed the highest number of Whipple’s Surgery in India, a complicated and demanding procedure which requires skills and expertise of an experienced specialist.
- He has trained at top medical institutions in the UK and the USA, with a fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh and the World Health Organization, USA.
- Dr. Adarsh Chaudhary is a renowned surgeon with a rich experience of 35 years in the field of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic surgery.
- He is credited for establishing India’s one of the first departments for Surgical Gastroenterology.
- Samaj Ratan Award for contribution to the field of Gastrointestinal Surgery at Vigyan Manch, New Delhi
- Vocational Achievement Award by Rotary Club New Delhi, 2002
- International Guest Speaker Award, Japan Surgical Society, 1996
- DAAD fellow [German Academic Exchange], 1995
- Dr. Pradeep Chowbey is one of the most experienced and renowned bariatric surgeons in India who is considered to be a pioneer in the field of laparoscopic surgery.
- In his vast experience of around 40 years as a medical professional, he has performed more than 80,000 laparoscopic surgeries and has a name in the Limca Book of records 2000-2009 for operating on the World’s heaviest teen.
- He is a highly qualified specialist with training and fellowships from coveted international medical centres, such as the Royal College of Surgeons (UK).
- He has been awarded the highly coveted Padma Shri in 2002 for his outstanding contributions in the field of medicine.
- Dr. Pradeep is the first surgeon to perform Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in North India and has been significantly instrumental in developing Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery in India.
- Padma Shri Award by the Government of India
- Rashtriya Rattan Award & Gold Medal for Medical Excellence – 2005
- Bharat Jyoti Award
- Arch of Excellence (Medicare) Award
- Lifetime Achievement award by IAGES
- Received Lifetime Achievement award by Human Care Charitable Trust
- IMAAN India Samman award 2014
- Received Lifetime Award from Balkan Ji Bari International
- Chairman’s Award by Max Healthcare
- Honorary Rotarian by Rotary Club of Delhi
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa Doctorate) by Honorary Governor of MP and the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Jabalpur
- Dr. K C Mahajan Award for Best Academician
- Received Gem of India Award for his excellence in the field of Gastrointestinal surgery
Qualifications: MBBS, DNB – General Surgery, MNAMS, Fellowship of Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons (FIAGES), Fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery (FALS)
- Dr. Manish Baijal is one of the best weight surgeons in Delhi and has more than 23 years of experience in the field of medicine.
- His special focus includes surgery for morbid obesity and metabolic disorders (weight loss/ bariatric surgery), surgery for abdominal wall hernias, and Laparoscopic procedures for biliary surgeries (Gall bladder stone, common bile duct surgery)
- He is acknowledged as a pioneer for his work in scarless neck surgery for thyroid and parathyroid diseases.
- He has obtained several fellowships in advanced surgery techniques and completed his training in bariatric surgery from the Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA.
- Awarded ‘Excellence in Bariatric Surgery’ by India News Health Awards – 2016
- Conferred designation of ‘Surgeon of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery’ by the Surgical Review Corporation, USA
- Hony. Treasurer for Asia Pacific Metabolic & Bariatric Surgical Society (APMBSS) )
- Hony. Treasurer and Founder member of Hernia Society of India (HSI) – National Chapter of Asia Pacific Hernia Society (APHS)
Get Free Assistance for Best Bariatric Surgeons in India
Qualifications: MS – General Surgery, MBBS, Fellowship in Minimal Access Surgery, DNB – Surgical Gastroenterology
- Dr. Anshuman Kaushal is a leading Bariatric and Laparoscopic surgeon in Delhi-NCR with an experience of over 16 years as a medical professional.
- He is credited for performing more than 15,000 operations in the area of General surgery, Oncosurgery, Laparoscopic GI and Bariatric surgeries including all types of complex hernia, hepatobiliary, laparoscopic GI & colorectal as well as weight loss surgeries (Sleeve and Bypass). He has treated several complex cases in Indian as well as international patients.
- Dr. Kaushal has completed several specialized training courses on advanced laparoscopic surgeries from reputed institutions of India and abroad.
- He has received the coveted Fellowship of American College of Surgeons and is among the first ones to receive the prestigious Fellowship of International College of Laparoscopic Surgeons (FCLS) from Society of Endo Laparoscopic Surgeons of India in the year 2012.
- He has further pursued training and fellowships including FMAS and Fellowship of Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons (FIAGES)
Qualifications: MBBS, MS, FNBE (MAS), FIAGES
- Dr. Ashish Vashistha is a renowned General and Laparoscopic Surgeon in Delhi with more than two decade’s experience of treating obesity and weight related problems.
- He is credited for being the first Laparoscopic Surgeon to be duly accredited & certified by the National Board of Examination, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi.
- In his extensive career, he has performed hundreds of weight-loss surgeries including Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy, Laparoscopic Mini Gastric Bypass and Revision surgeries.
- Dr. Vashisht is expertise and training in Robotic Surgery for surgeries such as Cholecystectomy, Sleeve Gastrectomy and cancer treatment.
Qualifications: MBBS, DNB – General Surgery, FRCS (UK), FACS (USA)
- Dr. Deep Goel is amongst the best weight loss surgeons in India with specialization in Advance laparoscopic surgery, Bariatric and Surgical Gastro Oncology Surgery.
- He has received specialized training and fellowships in bariatric procedures and GI oncosurgery from renowned medical facilities in the USA, UK, and France, namely, Mount Sinai Medical School, New York, Royal College of Surgeons, England and Bagatelle Hospital, Bordeaux, France.
- His expertise lies in the area of Minimal Invasive Surgery for Cancer treatment and Gastrectomy surgery, along with general laparoscopic surgery.
- He has been actively involved in academics as a teaching faculty and has delivered several lectures in various national and international conferences throughout the country and abroad.
- Awarded fellowship of American College of Surgeons in 2013
- Best Doctor Award by Indian Medical Association and Heart Care Foundation of India
- Gold Medal in MBBS
Qualifications: MBBS, MS – General Surgery, DNB (Surgical Gastroenterology), MNAMS
- Dr. Azhar Perwaiz is a leading bariatric and GI surgeon in India who carries a rich experience of more than 15 years in the field of medicine.
- He is highly acknowledged for performing more than 250 gastrointestinal procedures on a monthly basis and over 400 radical gastrectomies for stomach cancers
- Dr. Perwaizis considered to be a leader for pancreatic surgery in the country and is a specialist in complex surgical procedure for gastroesophageal disease and has been involved in resection of over 150 esophageal cancers (most of them are performed by latest video-assisted thoraco-laparoscopic methods).
- He is an expert in advanced technology such as 3D laparoscopic video assisted procedures including Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Esophagectomy, Bariatric surgery and Laparoscopic colorectal cancer surgery.
- His interest lies in the area of Advanced laparoscopic treatment for esophageal cancer and gastric cancer, Reflux disease (GERD) surgery, and Achalasia cardia surgery.
Qualifications: MBBS, MS, DNB, MNAMS
- Dr. Paritosh S Gupta is a known bariatric surgeon in Delhi-NCR who has a rich experience of over 15 years in the medical field.
- He has more than 10,000 successful surgeries to his credit and is renowned for his expertise and skills in the area of surgery.
- He holds special interest in Bariatric Surgery, Gastric Surgery, along with Liver Surgery, Colon Surgery, Pancreatic Surgery, Gall bladder surgery, Thyroid Surgery, Breast Surgery, Hernia Surgery, Plastic & Emergency Surgery
- He is a dedicated faculty and trainer at reputed Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education (EISE), New Delhi and has trained a number of surgeons in Solid Organ Laparoscopic Surgery.
- Dr. Manish Joshi is one of the best bariatric surgeons in Bangalore with an extensive experience of over 19 years in the clinical field.
- He has obtained training for Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Procedures from the prestigious medical institutions in the UK, including the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh.
- Dr. Manish specializes in various areas, including treatment of Gastrointestinal (GI) cancers, Colon & rectal cancers, gastric cancers, pancreatic Cancers, liver Cancers, esophageal cancers, gallbladder cancers, and cancer of the bile duct.
- He has presented several research papers and presentations in renowned medical journals and his article on ‘Single Incision Laparoscopic Splenectomy’ is highly recognized.
- Received the coveted ‘International Travelling Fellowship’ by the Association of Colorectal Society of India
- Nominated for the ‘Travel Bursary’ Award – Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterologist