Best Plastic Surgeons in India
Plastic and cosmetic surgery is a branch of medicine that enables reconstruction and alteration of natural shape and structure of the face and body parts. Generally, the aim of cosmetic surgery is to improve the aesthetic appearance of the person and boost their confidence regarding their body.
Plastic surgery is a broad field that encompasses mainly reconstructive procedure to correct the deformity due to a birth defect, developmental abnormalities, trauma, burn, infection, tumors or disease.
Cosmetic surgery for aesthetic enhancement are elective procedure and do not improve the function of the operated body part. Plastic and cosmetic surgeons are the trained specialists who are skilled to perform non-surgical and surgical procedures for aesthetic care.
- Breast Reconstruction: This a surgery to restore one or both breasts to normal shape, appearance, symmetry and size after a mastectomy, lumpectomy or other breast removal surgery or due to congenital deformities. Breast reconstruction surgery involves multiple procedures that are performed in stages. It can either be started at the time of mastectomy or delayed until later.
- Septoplasty: This is a Deviated Septum Correction procedure. The surgeon may correct a deviated septum to provide relief from breathing difficulties and obstructed airflow of the nasal airway.
- Hand Surgery: It aims to improve strength, function and flexibility of the hand. The surgery is an option for treatment of diseases that cause pain and impair the function and flexibility of the wrist and fingers.
- Craniosynostosis Surgery: This is a head reshaping procedure. In craniosynostosis surgery, the surgeon may correct an abnormal head shape, making space for the growing brain to expand normally.
- Cleft Lip and Palate Repair: It is performed to correcting the abnormally developed structures called cleft lip and palate. These defects can be surgically repaired and corrects abnormal development to restore the function of the lips and mouth. It gives them a more normal appearance and enables proper eating and talking.
- Breast Augmentation – This surgery can be performed for various reasons, such as to enlarge the breasts, replace a breast that has been removed, or correct asymmetrical breasts. Boob job surgery can be done with fat transfer or breast implants.
- Breast Lift – This is a procedure for treatment of sagging or poorly shaped breasts. With a breast lift, the breast are re-positioned to make them look perkier and younger. Typically, women have this procedure after significant weight loss or pregnancy which may leave the breasts looking deflated.
- Breast Reduction – A breast reduction surgery is not only offers the benefit for an improved appearance, it also helps women who have very heavy or overly large breasts. This causes difficulty in finding clothing that fits, chronic back pain and poor posture. The surgery can be a permanent solution for disproportionate breasts and relieve back pain due to heavy bosom.
- Rhinoplasty – Popularly known as nose job, it involves reshaping the nose in order to improve aesthetics and make it appear more balanced in proportion to the rest of the face. The surgery is personalized according to the expected outcome and patient’s need for the surgery.
- Chin surgery – Mentoplasty is a surgical procedure in which the chin is reshaped either with an implant (for enhancement) or by a reduction surgery on the bone.
- Cheek Enhancement – This a surgical procedure to add volume or lift to the cheeks. Enhancement of the cheeks can be done by fat grafting or cheek implants.
- Facelift – Also referred to as rhytidectomy, it is a surgical procedure that reverses the effects of aging such as wrinkles and sagging on the face. It tightens the skin of the face, giving a more youthful appearance. The skin is gently pulled to make it tighter, smoothen the deep lines, and reduce sagging.
- Eyelid Lift – Blepharoplasty is a surgery which can be performed as cosmetic procedure to remove bagginess of skin around eyes or to improve the vision when it is obstructed by drooping eyelids. Lower eyelid surgery can treat chronic puffiness or wrinkling and give a more youthful appearance.
- Other procedures such as Neck Lift and eyebrow lift can be performed individually or in combination with face lift or eyelid lift to improve the appearance of the face.
- Abdominoplasty – Commonly referred to as a tummy tuck or a lower body lift, it involves removal of excess skin from the abdominal area and tightens the remaining skin. It is often opted by people who have excess skin after being pregnancy or significant weight loss after bariatric surgery. Mini tummy tuck can also be an option for certain patients.
- Liposuction – It is a surgical procedure in which the stubborn fat deposits from specific areas of the body are suctioned out. It aims to provide a slimmer and shapelier figure.
- Gynecomastia Treatment -This is a surgery to reduce excessive amounts of breast tissue in a male (a condition called gynecomastia). It can be a permanent treatment for most men if the increased amount of tissue is because of the genetics.
Skin Rejuvenation: It can be done by Laser Resurfacing, Filler Treatments, Chemical peel and other popular methods.
How to choose the best cosmetic surgeon in India?
Indian doctors are globally renowned for their knowledge and expertise in their field of specialization. There are many qualified and skilled plastic surgeons in different cities of India and decision makers can get confused. Choosing the right doctor is an important part of the process and may also have impact on the outcome of the surgery.
Here are some pointers that they must keep in mind while selecting a doctor:
- Qualifications and credentials: This is one of the most important factors to consider while selecting a doctor. They must have specialization in plastic surgery and board certification from the authorized bodies. The best cosmetic surgeons in India are highly qualified and have obtained fellowship training from internationally reputed institutes.
- Experience in the relevant field: The clinical experience of the surgeon must be considered as it reflects on the number of cases and the variety of procedure they have performed in their career with successful outcomes.
- Associated Hospitals: The aesthetic centers and hospital that the doctor is associated with is also an important factor. The facilities and infrastructure of the hospital must be good standard. The hospitals with national and international accreditation are certified for their clinical excellence and patient care services.
- Patient feedback: Testimonials and google reviews for a doctor are now easily available online. This provides assurance regarding the hospitality and care they provide. The top surgeons for cosmetic surgery in India are known for their compassionate care, patient-friendly approach and detailed consultation.
- Specialization in the treatment: A patient must seek a medical professional who specializes in or has expertise in the particular treatment they want. For instance, if you wish to have rhinoplasty, it is better to choose a plastic surgeon who has considerable experience and expertise in rhinoplasty (cosmetic or functional).
Here is a list of top plastic surgeon in India
Education: M.B.B.S., MAMC, MS (Gen. Surg.), FRCSEd
- Dr. Sunil Choudhary is one of the most reputed and skilled cosmetic surgeons, with decades of experience in performing various plastic surgery procedures.
- His specialty interest lies in aesthetic & reconstructive surgery of Face & Breast, craniofacial surgery, microsurgery and body contouring procedures.
- Dr. Choudhary is currently the Principal Director & Chief Of Plastic Surgery at Max Institute Of Reconstructive, Aesthetic, cleft & Craniofacial Surgery (Miracles). Max Healthcare is a forerunner medical group of the country. Max hospital Saket receives numerous international patients from different countries every year. There is a dedicated department for Plastic and cosmetic procedure at Max hospital.
- He has considerable international experience, having worked as a Consultant – Plastic Surgeon at National Health Service (NHS), Canniesburn Plastic Surgery Unit, Glasgow, UK and Stoke-Mandeville Hospital, Ayelsbury, UK
- Dr. Sunil is a highly qualified specialist and trained in all kinds of complex aesthetic services.
- He has obtained fellowship in Plastic & Microvascular Surgery from Wellington, New Zealand and OTDS Accreditation (Plastic Surgery) from the Royal College of Surgeons of England & British Association of Plastic Surgery, UK. He also from fellowship (FRCSEd), from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK.
- Dr. Sunil Choudhary has board certification and is a Fellow of European Board of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery (EBOPRAS).
Connect with Experts & Get a Free Personalized Quote from Top Cosmetic Surgeons in India
Education: MBBS, MS, MCh, MRCS
- Dr. Vipul Nanda is a renowned plastic and cosmetic surgeon with almost two decades of experience in his field of specialization.
- He is acknowledged expert in aesthetic treatments including non-surgical and surgical procedures such as Filler, mesotherapy, Laser, Dermabrasion and many more.
- Dr. Nanda is presently the Chief – Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery at Artemis Hospital, and has previously worked at reputed medical centres in the country and abroad.
- He is a member of the Royal College of Surgeons, UK and the National Academy of Medical Sciences, India. Dr Vipul Nanda has completed his specialization from prestigious medical institutions of the country and abroad, including MS from All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS) from UK.
- He further obtained advanced fellowships and training under world renowned specialists in cosmetic and plastic surgery in Spain, Japan, U.K. & USA.
- Dr. Nanda has been actively involved in academics and research. He has served as a senior faculty at PGIMER, Chandigarh, a premier medical institution of the country. He has over 50 publications in indexed peer-reviewed journals.
- He was also appointed as head of a Plastic Surgery unit in a referral hospital by Ministry of Health, Oman.
Education: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), M Ch (Plastic Surgery) & Fellowship in Microsurgery and Cosmetic Surgery
- Dr. Avtar Singh Bath is a leading name and senior doctor in the field of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic care. In his exemplary clinical career of more than 30 years, he has performed all kinds of surgical and non-surgical cosmetic care, along with hand surgery and microsurgery.
- Dr. (Maj Gen) Avtar Singh Bath is presently appointed as the Director in BLK Centre for Plastic, Reconstructive, Aesthetic, Burns & Craniofacial Surgery Department at BLK Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi. As part of one of the best hospitals in Delhi, he is regularly involved in aesthetic care for the patients.
- He has received many awards and accolades for his outstanding contribution to the area of plastic surgery, including the prestigious Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Commendation in 1986 & 2000, Sena Medal, Vishisht and Seva Medal by the President of India. He has also been awarded as Doctor of the Year in 2012 and Gold Medal for standing first in Anatomy.
- Dr. Bath is an expert in a variety of surgical procedures including hand surgery (Tendon repair surgery), Liposuction, Abdominoplasty, Rhinoplasty, Otoplasty, and face lift. He is also skilled in reconstructive surgery for breasts, arms, things, hips, hair restoration and hair transplant.
- He has obtained his medical degrees from the top institutions of the nation and trained in international courses at International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in the year – 1987, 2004, and 2010.
Education: MBBS, MS, M.Ch (Plastic Surgery), Fellowship (Microsurgery)
- Dr. Rakesh K. Khazanchi is an experienced and well-known plastic surgeon with expertise in various kinds of plastic surgeries and non-surgical aesthetic treatments.
- As the Chairman of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery at Medanta The Medcity, Grugaon, he treats many international patient from different parts of the world. Medanta is one of the forerunner private hospitals in India that offers a wide range of services to the patients. The hospital’s department of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery is one-stop centre for all kinds of medical and surgical procedures
- Dr. Khazanchi, in his vast career of 25+ years, has conducted various procedures, with a special focus on reconstructive microsurgery, head & neck reconstruction, re-implantation of amputated parts and treatment of vascular malformations.
- He is the Secretary General of the 15th World Congress of the International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (IPRAS) 2009.
- Dr. Khazanchi has specialization in Plastic surgery and have received Fellowship in Microsurgery from St. Vincents Hospital, Melbourne, Australia.
- He is an avid researcher and has undertaken twenty-two research projects on national and international levels. He has published over 60 papers in reputed peer-reviewed journals and contributed 4 chapters in textbooks of his field.
Education: MBBS, MS, MCh
- Dr. Anil Behl is one of the most senior and experienced surgeon in the medical field of plastic and cosmetic surgery.
- He is currently the Director of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Fortis Hospitals Group, one of India’s leading hospitals in private sector. The department is a specialized unit that is facilitated with the latest developments in medical sciences and is equipped for surgical interventions.
- Dr. Anil Bhel has special interest in the treatment of Burns care, along with complex reconstructive and aesthetic surgeries.
- With 38 years of rich clinical experience, he has made extraordinary contributions in his area of specialization. Dr. Bhel served as the Director General of Medical Services of Indian Air Force. He has been honoured with the prestigious Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) by President of India in 2010 and was later appointed as Honorary Surgeon to President of India in the year 2013.
- He completed his advanced training in Hand surgery in the UK (1993-94), and then further pursued training in Craniofacial Surgery at Providence Hospital USA in 1994-95. He has also trained in Aesthetic Surgery in the USA (2000 – 2001).
- Dr. Bhel was the President of Indian association of Aerospace Medicine in 2012- 2014. He has also been the reviewing editor of the Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery.
Education: MBBS, MS(Surgery), DNB(Surgery), MRCS (Edinburgh), MCh (Plastic Surgery), MNAMS
- Dr. Qazi Ghazwan Ahmad is an accomplished and skilled plastic surgeon with more than 17 years of experience in the field of plastic and cosmetic surgery.
- He is one of the best plastic surgeons in Mumbai and is an acknowledged expert in Head and neck cancer reconstruction surgeries, having managed over 2000 cases.
- Dr. Ahmad offers service in all types of cosmetic breast surgery or mammaplasty, including breast augmentation (boob job) with breast implant, reduction mammoplasty (breast reduction), Mastopexy (breast lift), breast reconstruction after breast cancer removal surgery.
- He also performs body contouring procedures such as liposuction, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck surgery), thigh and arm lift. He is also skilled in facial plastic surgeries, rhinoplasty (nose job), septorhinoplasty, blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), otoplasty (reshaping of ears), dimple creation, and removal of double chin.
- Dr Ahmad has a Membership of Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS), Edinburgh (UK) and Membership of National Board Of Medical Sciences (MNAMS), New Delhi. He is a visiting fellow at Changung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan and Plastic Surgery department, Tokyo University, Japan.
- He completed a special training in hair transplantation and regularly performs hair transplantation by both the popular technique – FUT (strip harvest technique) or the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) – stitch less technique using specially designed powered blunt punches.
Education: MBBS, MS, M. Ch
- Dr. Prateek Arora ranks among the top plastic surgeons in Delhi and is currently the Associate Director of Plastic and Cosmetic surgery at Max Healthcare group.
- The clinical excellence and standard of clinical services makes Max hospitals highly sought after medical centres in the country. Max Superspeciality Hospital, Saket is a JCI accredited facility that offers superior quality care to domestic as well as international patients.
- Dr. Prateek Arora has been associated with Max Super Speciality Hospital in the Team ‘Miracles’ since the year 2008.
- He has a keen interest in Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery of the face, Cosmetic procedure (non-surgical and surgical), hand surgery, body contouring (Post Bariatric), and microvascular surgery.
- Dr. Arora gained International Travelling Fellowship of APSI to University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland and Vasudhan Arjin Cosmetic LASER Surgery Fellowship of Association of Plastic Surgeons of India. He has also been the recipient of Max Higher Education Fellowship to Christine M. Klienert Institute of Hand and Microsurgery, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
- He is a member of various medical organizations related to the field of Plastic, cosmetic and aesthetic care, including the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India (APSI) and Breast Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Association (BRASA).
What are the best plastic surgery hospitals in India?
There are many hospitals in India that offer services in the branch of plastic and cosmetic surgery. These include internationally and nationally accredited medical centers that are built with world-class infrastructure.
The top hospitals in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore and other major cities cater to domestic as well as international patients. They offer special services to foreign patients, keeping their needs and comfort in mind. This includes dedicated international facilitators, smooth treatment process, a detailed preoperative consultation, language translator services and transportation to and from the airport.
Some of the top private sector hospitals in India for plastic and cosmetic surgery are:
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital
- Medanta – The Medicity
- Max Super Speciality Hospital
- Artemis Hospital
- Fortis Hospitals
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital
- Global Hospital Chennai
What are the advanced techniques used in plastic surgery?
Endoscopic Surgery: This kind of surgery is performed using an endoscope, a tube like probe which has a tiny camera and a bright light attached to it. This tube is inserted through a small incision and the camera displays the images on a screen. The device assists the surgeon during surgical procedures while the surgical instruments are inserted through different incision(s).
Flap Surgery: In this, healthy, live tissue are transplanted from one location of the body to another. It is done for areas that have lost skin, muscle movement, fat, and/or skeletal support. Different types of technique and methods for flap surgery can be utilized, depending on the location of the flap and the structures that are to be repaired.
Laser Surgery: The use of lasers plastic surgery provides the benefit of minimal bleeding, bruising, scarring and other complications. Different types of lasers can be chosen depending upon the purpose and location of the surgery. The surgeon will determine if the candidate is suitable for laser surgery, and which type of laser will be the most appropriate.
Skin Graft: This is used to cover the skin that is damaged and/or missing due to trauma or medical condition. It involves removal of healthy portions of skin from the part of the body where it is damaged. The aim is to restore the normal appearance and/or function by using the skin graft from another portion of the same body.
Tissue Expansion: This surgical procedure involves insertion and placement of a balloon-like device, which is called an expander, under the skin. The expander slowly keeps on secreting liquid into the area which is being repaired. It stretches and expands the skin, serving the function of growing extra skin to repair the lost or damaged skin.