Top 15 Cardiologists in India
Heart problems remains one of the prevalent health related issues in today’s times and has been affecting people from all age groups. Although many are born with heart defects due to genetics and hereditary reasons, thousands are falling prey to other cardiac conditions developing due to external factors like sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy eating habits, pollution and stress.
Cardiac interventions are complex medical procedures as they are performed on one of the most important organs of our body. Therefore, choosing the best heart specialist for yourself has become increasingly significant. A skilled and trained doctor can make all the difference in improving your heart’s condition. So, here is an article that can provide you the information about the career profiles of the best cardiologists and best cardiothoracic surgeons in India to help you in making the correct choice for yourself or your dear ones.
(Note: Cardiology is the branch of medicine which deals with the ailments and conditions of the heart, including birth defects. Cardiologists are the specialists who treat patients with heart related disorders. Cardiac surgeons are the experts who perform operations on heart and organs of upper thorax by making an incision on the chest.)
The list of 15 best cardiologists in India includes the following:
Qualification: M.B.B.S., Diplomate – The American Board of Surgery, U.S.A., Diplomate – The American Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery, U.S.A.
- Dr. Naresh Trehan is an esteemed Cardiothoracic and cardiovascular surgeon with a rich experience of nearly 50 years.
- Dr. Trehan is currently the Chairman & Managing Director at Medanta – The Medicity, a forerunner tertiary care providing multi super speciality hospital in Delhi-NCR.
- He has performed 48,000 successful open heart surgeries in his illustrious medical career and is an acknowledged expert in the field of cardiothoracic surgery, Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Heart transplantation, and cardiovascular surgery.
- Dr. Trehan is a highly acclaimed cardiac surgeon and had been honoured with Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan by Govt. of India for his outstanding contribution in the field of cardiology. He has been the recipient of several other awards by the established medical organization recognizing his tremendous work.
M.B.B.S., MD (Gen Medicine), DM (Cardiology), FRCPE, FSCAI
- Dr. Hemant Madan, currently designated as Director at Narayana Superspeciality Hospital, is one of the top cardiologists in India and has over 20 years of extensive medical experience.
- He is highly acknowledged for his expertise in complex coronary procedures, adult as well as paediatric heart related interventions, device implantation, and paediatric and foetal echocardiography. His area of interest also includes device implantation for management of rhythm disorders, percutaneous treatment of valve stenosis, and peripheral cardiac interventions.
- He has received several awards and accolades for his tremendous work and dedication in the field of cardiology, such as the prestigious Vishishta Sewa Medal by the President of India, Best Citizen Award & Commendation by the Chief of the Air Staff (two times) and received the Commendation by the Commander in Chief twice in his career.
MBBS, MD (General Medicine), DM (Cardiology), DNB – Cardiology, United States Medical Licensing Examination (USA)
- Dr. Subhash Chandra is a highly accomplished and one of the best cardiologists in New Delhi, and is presently the Chairman & HOD of Cardiology Department.
- His area of expertise include coronary interventions, endovascular procedures, device implantation (AICD, Pacemaker implantation, etc.) and treatment of heart disease like adult congenital device closure, congenital pulmonary stenosis, etc.
- In his 35 years of extensive medical career, Dr. Subhash has performed over 25,000 complex coronary interventions, treated over 400 congenital pulmonic stenosis, done around 100 congenital device closure in adults.
MBBS, MS, M.Ch (Cardio Thoracic And Cardiovascular Surgery), MBA
- Dr. Subhash Kumar Sinha is one of India’s Best Cardiothoracic surgeons and carries an extensive experience of over 33 years on the field on cardiology.
- Currently working as Director – Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Dr. Sinha specializes in Coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG) and has expertise in various cardiac interventions including minimally invasive procedure for ASD closure, Mitral valve repair, atrial valve repair, LA myxomas and abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery, among many others.
- He has performed over 9000 interventions in his illustrious medical career as a heart surgeon and is actively involved in training and educating budding cardiac surgeons.
- Dr. Sinha is also involved in administration along with the clinical work and has been trained in Managing Healthcare Delivery from Harvard Business School, Boston – 2012.
MBBS, MS (Gen Surgery), M.Ch. (Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery), FMGEMS (USA) and PLAB (UK)
- Dr. Murtaza Ahmed Chisti is a highly renowned and accomplished Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgeon and has a remarkable experience of 34 years.
- He is presently the Chief – Adult Cardiac Surgery & Heart Lung Transplant.
- Dr. Chisti has expertise in Complex and reoperative coronary surgery, surgery of the aorta, Total Arterial revascularization along with Heart & lung transplant and Mechanical Circulatory Support.
- He has received extensive training and fellowships in cardio thoracic surgery from St. Mary’s Hospital (USA), Royal Perth Hospital (Perth, Australia) and Prince Henry and Prince Wales Hospitals (Sydney Australia).
- Dr. Chisti has received several accolades including award by Society of Heart Failure and Transplant( SHfT) in recognition of his Contributions in Thoracic Organ Transplant in India and Heart Failure 360 at 3rd Annual Conference in appreciation of Contribution as a faculty.
Qualification: MBBS, MS (Gen Surgery), M.Ch. (Cardiothoracic Surgery)
- Dr. Ajay Kaul is one of the top heart surgeons in India and is presently at the post of Chairman & HOD of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery (CTVS) Department.
- In his enriched experience of over 35 years, he has 15000 heart surgeries to his credit and has performed over 4000 (largest number) total arterial coronary bypass surgery.
- Dr. Kaul has expertise in minimally invasive cardiac procedures, having performed 4000 such operations for heart valve replacement, Aortic valve replacement, ASD and VSD closure surgery.
- He specializes in a variety of cardiac surgical interventions including coronary bypass surgery, Paediatric cardiac interventions, valve repair surgery, aneurysm surgery and intervention for cardiac failure.
Qualification: MBBS, MS, MRCP(UK), MRCP (Irelend), Fellow – Society for Cardiac Angiograph & Interventions, FRCP (Ireland), Fellow – Endovascular Intervention Society of India
- One of the best cardiac specialists in India, Dr. Ashok Seth is the Chairman – Fortis Escorts Heart Institute and Head – Cardiology Council of Fortis Health Group.
- Dr. Seth is a highly renowned cardiologist and recipient of prestigious awards including the Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri – honoured by Government of India, the “Officer’s Cross Order of Isabella the Catholic” – National Award of the Republic of Spain, and ‘Mason Sones Award’ from SCAI (USA) among several others.
- With more than three decades of rich experience, Dr. Seth is a pioneer credited for use of Impella heart support device for failing heart, Bioabsorbable Stents and implementing techniques like TAVI in India and Asia Pacific regions.
- He is acknowledged all across in India as well as abroad and specializes in angioplasty techniques, Directional Atherectomy, Angioscopy, Stents, Thrombectomy devices and Drug Eluting Stents.
Get Free Assistance for Best Cardiologists in India
Qualification: MBBS, MD (Gen Medicine), DM (Cardiology), PhD (Cardiology), FESC, FRCP (London)
- Dr. Jamshed Dalal is amongst the top cardiologists in Mumbai and has a vast clinical experience of 35 years.
- He is currently the Director of Cardiac Sciences at Kokilaben Hospital and one of the few doctors to have triple doctorate degrees – in medicine and cardiology (MD, DM & PhD).
- Dr. Dalal specializes in Interventional Cardiology and procedures like coronary angioplasty, biventricular pacing, device placement, angiogram, aortic stent grafting and many others.
- Dr. Dalal is an acknowledged expert in Angioplasty and has performed 20,000 coronary angioplasty surgery.
- He is a pioneer in establishing and developing Cardiology Departments/Units at some of the top hospitals – Lilavati Hospital and Wockhardt Hospital.
Qualification: MBBS, MS, FRCS
- Dr. Jaisom Chopra is a leading heart surgeon with a rich clinical experience of over 36 years.
- To his credit, Dr. Chopra has successfully performed more than 1500 surgical procedure in his medical career.
- He has expertise in Aortic Aneurysm surgery, venous disorders, Arterial Surgery, Varicose veins bypass, Diabetic foot, vascular trauma, cerebrovascular surgery and many others.
- Dr. Chopra has been extensively trained in his field of specialization and has attained Fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh (UK).
Qualification: M.B.B.S, MS (Gen Surgery), M.Ch (Cardiac Surgery)
- Dr. Sandeep Attawar is one of the top cardiac surgeons in Chennai with specialization in Cardio thoracic & vascular surgery, Heart & lung (Thoracic organ) transplant and Mechanical Circulatory Support (MCS).
- He is currently working as Director & Chair – Cardiovascular Surgery, Thoracic Organ Transplantation & MCS at BGS Gleneagles Global Hospital managed by Parkway Pantai Group.
- He specializes in coronary bypass surgery (CABG), and pediatric heart surgery.
- Dr. Attawar has been involved in performing 10000 open and closed heart surgeries in adults as well as children.
- He has expertise in Lung and Heart Transplantation in adults, Left Ventricular Assist Device implants and the total artificial heart (TAH) for failing hearts, on all age groups of patients, even neonates.
Qualification: M.S., M.Ch. (CTVS), D.N.B. (Cardio Thoracic Surgery), Fellowship- Advanced Cardiac Surgery, University of Ottawa, Canada
- Dr. Manish Hinduja is one of the top heart surgeons in Mumbai and specializes in Cardiothoracic & Vascular surgery and minimally invasive cardiac surgery.
- He has performed 5000 operation in his medical career of ten years including open heart surgeries and minimally invasive cardiac surgery in pediatric as well as adult patients.
- He is a Gold medalist and C S Sadasivam Award winner from National Board of Examinations (DNB CTS) and has attained Fellowship in Advanced Cardiac surgery from Ottawa, Canada.
- He has a special interest in CABG procedures, Mitral valve replacement, Atrial valve replacement, aortic aneurysm surgery and many more.
Qualification: M.B.B.S, MS (Gen Surgery), M.Ch (CTVS)
- Dr. Udgeath Dhir is a best Cardiothoracic and Vascular surgeon in Gurgaon and is currently working as Director& Head of CTVS Department.
- He has performed 7500 heart operation in medical career of more than a decade.
- He has a special interest in Minimally Invasive Valvular surgery, treatment of coronary & congenital heart disorders, surgery for heart failure, arrthymia surgery, Total arterial bypass, Device implantation and heart transplant.
- Dr. Dhir has received extensive training in Rheumatic Mitral valve repair at Central Chest Institute, Bangkok under world renowned surgeon, Dr. Taweseeak
Qualification: M.B.B.S, MS (Gen Surgery), M.Ch (Cardiac Surgery)
- Dr. Salil Garg is one of the best cardiologists in Delhi and specializes in Interventional Cardiology.
- In his 28 years of medical service, he has performed more than 5000 angioplasties including procedures like Complex-CTOs, Left Main and Bifurcations and Peripheral angioplasties including Carotids and implanted more than 700 devices such as ICD, Pacemakers, etc.
- Dr. Garg has a rich experience in interventions like Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR), Micras, Leadless Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD)
- In his illustrious career, he held various posts in both remote areas and large hospitals contributing to his deep knowledge and quantified experience.
Qualification: M.B.B.S., MD, DNB (Cardiology)
- Dr. Yogesh Kothari is a best cardiologist in Bangalore and has been working as a specialist for 22 years.
- He specializes in Electrophysiology and arrhythmia program and his clinical focus in on endovascular and percutaneous treatment of Coronary, Carotid stenting, Aortic and peripheral vascular diseases.
- Dr. Kothari has obtained his medical qualifications from premier institutions and has undergone extensive training for Electrophysiology at Frontier Lifeline KM Cherian Heart Foundation.
- Dr. Kothari has a special interest in new technological advancements, life saving procedures and medical devices.
Qualification: MBBS, MD, DM, FCCP, FICC
- Dr. Robert Mao is one of the top Cardiologists in Chennai and has a clinical experience of more than 38 years in the field of cardiology.
- He has a special interest in surgery for Aortic Aneurysm repair, PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Interventions), Mitral Valve Replacement and other congenital heart valve disease treatment along with vascular surgery and Open heart surgery.