Liver Transplant in India
Liver transplant is carried out most professionally across different multi-specialty hospitals in India. Delhi is the major centre for minimally invasive liver transplant surgery. The hospitals consist of techniques that ensure fast recovery and minimal post-operative stress.
Liver transplant is best advisable when a person suffers from the liver failure. This disease can potentially take away person’s life. But, the liver transplant, can save the patient’s life. The surgery involves the process of taking a healthy liver from the donor. Then the liver is implanted into the recipient’s body in place of the damaged liver.
Before a person undergoes the liver transplant, he or she has to meet certain criteria. For example, the patient will be first evaluated by a transplant team. If they approve, the patient name will appear on the waiting list for any deceased donor. If a patient has a living donor, then he or she is directly scheduled for surgery.
The types of liver transplant that are famous across the globe include the following:
- Transplant for acute liver failure treatment
- Pediatric liver transplant
- Liver-kidney transplant
- Adult liver transplant
- Cadaver liver transplant
Foreign nationals with liver diseases travel to India to seek the most advanced and endoscopic facilities. The contemporary technology, services of highly-qualified and trained doctors are the key takeaways. Indian hospitals has latest infrastructure, best counselling and reasonable treatment cost.
It is true that a liver transplant cost can get really high. There are many factors like:
- Finding a doctor,
- Surgical procedure,
- Post-operation recovery period
- Long-term medications.
The liver transplant hospitals in India promise unparalleled health treatments at low-cost packages.
How much does a liver transplant cost?
Liver transplant cost in India lies between 42000 – 45000 USD for adults. Cost of liver transplant for pediatric patients would be around 32000 – 35000 USD.
The success rate of liver transplant surgery ranges between 85% and 90% in India. This survival rate is comparably the best to the other countries.
The following table indicates the cost in India is affordable than other nations:
|Cost of Liver Transplant in India, Germany, Singapore and USA
The same laws govern the liver transplant procedure for a foreigner and an Indian national. At first, the foreign patients have to get a donor from their home country. The donor should be a very close relative of the patient. Then, they have to get all documents ready that prove that they are closely related. A medical recommendation letter is required from a well-known doctor from their own country.
Liver Transplant Hospitals in India
India is witnessing a huge influx of foreign patients from more than ten countries. It’s because the Indian hospitals have state-of-the-art technology for laparoscopic surgery. The hospitals are also well-equipped with dedicated endoscopic suites. For easy movement of patients, they have 4-bedded recovery units. Experienced and excellent doctors have dedicated many years here. These hospitals have comprehensively-armed liver transplant ICUs for better patient service.
Bloodless liver surgery is a complicated procedure. It is carried out fruitfully with the high success rate at all major hospitals in India. Besides, India boasts of the fastest growing transplant program. It include the biggest cadaver program in the world.
There are several super-specialty liver transplant hospitals in India. They cater cutting-edge clinical solutions with extraordinary patient care.
Liver Transplant Surgeons in India
The transplant team receive extensive training and get vast experience. Its easy for them to manage and perform liver transplants. The team consist of anaesthetists, gastroenterologists, surgeons, technicians, specialised nurses and counsellors. They work together to make a transplant procedure successful.
India is a one-stop solution for candidates looking for best surgeons and skilled consultants. advanced technology, well-equipped hospital units and ingenious technical staff under one roof.
Best Liver Transplant Hospitals
Some of the best hospitals for Liver Transplant in India include the following:
When is liver transplant required?
Liver transplant is required only in the following cases:
- Chronis hepatitis, alcoholic cirrhosis. Primary bilary sclerosis, end-stage cirrhosis and hemochromatosis Genetic liver disease
- Liver cancer such as primary hepatocellular carcinoma, cholangiocarcinoma. Primary hepatocellular malignancies and hepatic adenomas
- Hepatic thrombosis, fulminant viral hepatisis and fulminant hepatic failure
Before Liver Transplant Surgery
Certain tests and evaluations must be performed before liver transplant surgery. Phase I Evaluation is the first stage. In this stage, the liver transplant team counsel with the patient’s family. They decide if the patient is an appropriate liver transplant surgery candidate. The patient undergoes various tests for evaluation. He or she should not drink or eat after midnight of the day the tests are done.
The patient has to bring all prior records. It includes liver biopsy slides, X-rays, the record of medications and operative reports. During the evaluation, if any specific problem arises, then more tests may be required. Some of these tests include:
- Computed tomography (pictures of shape and size of the liver),
- Doppler ultrasound, pulmonary functions (liver’s ability to exchange carbon dioxide and oxygen),
- Stress testing and Echocardiogram and
- Blood tests for determining clotting ability, blood type and liver function.
Different Types of Liver Transplant Surgery
There are three types of liver transplant surgeries. These include the following:
- Reduced-sized liver transplant: This type of surgery is usually performed in the case of child patients. In this, 15 to 20 percent of the original liver stays intact. It involves transplantation of a part of the healthy donor’s liver into the recipient.
- Orthotopic transplantation: The donor’s liver is extracted, preserved and transported in this transplant. Then it is replaced in the recipient’s body. The time starting from taking the healthy liver from the donor’s body and placing it in the recipient’s body should be within 12 to 18 hours. Once the damaged liver from the patient’s body is disconnected from the blood vessels and other abdomen structures holding it, the donor’s liver is placed and blood flow is restored. A small tube is fitted for connection to the bile duct.
- Heterotopic transplantation: This type of surgery is performed to place the healthy donor’s liver on one side, while the diseased liver stays intact. It is performed when the doctor is of the opinion that the diseased liver will recover at some point. So, the donor’s liver is placed very close to the recipient’s diseased liver. If the original liver recovers, the other liver shrivels away, but when the original one fails, it shrivels and the donor’s liver resumes function.
During Liver Transplantation Procedure
Liver transplantation is a complicated job, which can take five to six hours. But, the specified duration can be shorter or longer. It depends upon the complexity of the surgery and the experience of the doctors. General anesthesia is administered while performing liver transplantation surgery.
A windpipe is inserted through the mouth of the patient before surgery. It helps patient breathe during surgery. The liver transplant surgeons make a Y-shaped incision in the abdomen and carefully remove the diseased liver. Then, the donor’s healthy liver is placed in the same position and is attached to the bile duct and blood vessels. Complicated liver surgery duration is up to 12 hours in total.
Recovery After Liver Transplant Surgery
The entire procedure of liver transplant treatment is complicated. It involves significant care and maintenance. The patient needs to be extra cautious post operation. He or she is recommended to visit the doctor once or twice a week for a period of 3 months.
The hepatologist or the transplant surgeon monitors the patient’s progress. They conduct several blood tests during this time. But, after a year passes by, follow-up care is still required. But it differs from patient to patient depending upon their condition.
Medications play an integral role in liver transplant recovery. The patient is prescribed several medicines. Antibiotics, diuretics, vitamins, to control blood pressure and insulin are some examples. Also, medications are required to prevent the patient’s body from fighting the new organ.
More testing may also be recommended to assess the liver function and health of the patient. Some of the other tests may include biopsies, ultrasounds and abdominal scans.
Medications and tests are accompanied by a few dietary restrictions. A well-balanced diet is best advised. Salt intake is highly restricted at that time. Besides, obesity is a major concern post liver transplant surgery. So calorie intake should be restricted.
Benefits of Liver Transplant
There are several benefits of the liver transplant. The surgery ensures longer and more active life for the patient. Even if a patient is suffering from an end-stage liver disease, he or she can be saved with the liver transplantation procedure.
The introduction of anti-rejection medications has made it easier for patients to fight a foreign organ in their bodies. If the liver transplant surgery is performed before the patient’s liver deteriorates further, then the patient has a higher chance of survival.
Besides, he or she can tolerate the new organ in the body more quickly. While the donor can recover within a week after donating the liver, the recipient recovers in two to three weeks.