13 Best Knee Replacement Surgeons in India
Our knees are particularly prone to stress as they bear the responsibility of supporting the whole weight of the body. Cases of knee problems have been increasing on a global level and this upswing is largely attributed to old age and a sedentary lifestyle. Problem such as osteoarthritis is the most common reason for knee surgery and it usually affects the elderly people (above 50 years of age) as well as those who are overweight. Other causes of knee pain can be associated with health issues such as bursitis, arthritis, ligament tears, arthritis of the joints, injury or infections. Every year, millions of people around the world are recommended for knee surgery. Medical research and evidence increasingly suggest that appropriate knee care with surgical intervention at the right time can make a huge impact on the quality of life of a patient.
Knee Surgery, typically refers to total knee replacement, or knee arthroplasty is recommended by the doctor when the bones of the knee joint have deteriorated due to a disease such as arthritis or damaged because of trauma to the knee. Surgical intervention has proved to be an effective treatment in cases where the condition fails to improve with non-invasive methods such as pain medication and physical therapy. The knee surgery has been known to result in drastic improvement in mobility and reduction of pain associated with knee diseases and injuries.
Are the knee replacement doctors in India qualified experts?
The knee surgeons in India are highly qualified and skilled orthopedic specialists with vast experience of performing thousands of knee surgeries with outstanding clinical outcomes.
They are linked to the best orthopedic hospital in India where they offer various treatments and services including total knee replacement, partial knee replacement, arthroscopic knee surgery, knee ligament reconstruction (with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction) and many more. (Read more details about these procedures down below on this page)
The best orthopedic doctors in India are internationally renowned for providing superlative quality services for knee surgery to the patients. People from all around the world choose to undergo knee surgery in India as they
The top knee surgeons in India are known for performing knee surgery with a high success rate and a postoperative infection rate is zero percent which even surpasses the international benchmark of 1.5%.
It is not just the quality of treatment that sets the knee surgeons in India aside from others but also their compassionate nature and personalized care they provide to the patients. They discuss the procedure in detail and explain the requirements and post-operative changes to the patients. This helps in preparing the patients for the surgery both mentally and physically and makes them comfortable for the procedure.
Indian knee surgeons have completed their medical education from top medical institutions in the country and abroad. They have trained and obtained fellowships in the advanced courses on the latest techniques in the field of orthopedic surgery, such as robotics and minimally invasive surgery.
The top orthopedic surgeons in India have significant international exposure and treat patients from various different countries with best results.
The qualifications for a Knee Surgeons in India include following specializations after MBBS degree:
- Masters in Surgery (MS) in the field of Orthopedic
- M. Ch in Orthopedics or Joint replacement
- DNB – Orthopedic surgery and international fellowships from institutions such as the Royal College of Surgeons in England (FRCS/MRCS)
- Training from prestigious medical schools or teaching hospitals of the world
- Several publications and paper presentations in high impact scientific and medical research journals
- A rich clinical experience of performing numerous joint replacement surgeries
Why choose to have Knee surgery in India with Lyfboat?
- We are connected to the best hospitals with contemporary infrastructure and excellent outpatient, inpatient and emergency care facilities.
- Our panel of doctors are highly renowned and experienced in all the latest advances of medical sciences.
- We provide a fair cost-estimate with a comparative analysis from various hospitals.
- The dedicated team of patient coordinators at Lyfboat assist you throughout your journey, starting from choosing the suitable hospital and making travel arrangements to treatment in India and follow back to your home country.
- We negotiate the lowest quotes for treatment packages from the best hospitals
- We offer complimentary pick up and drop from the airport
- We assist you in booking accommodation suitable to your budget.
- We are available 24X7 and offer around the clock services to patients.
Here is a list of the top 13 Knee replacement surgeons in India:
- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal is currently the Chairman of Bone & Joint Institute at Medanta – The Medicity.
- He is a globally renowned surgeons who has performed more than 30,000 total knee replacement surgeries in his extensive medical career.
- He is credited to be the first surgeon in India to perform bilateral surgery and minimally invasive total knee replacement surgery in India.
- Further to his credit, he is first to perform a total knee replacement surgery with Patient Specific Instrumentation in India.
- Dr. Rajgopal has been honored with the prestigious Padma Shri award by Govt. of India for his tremendous contributions to the medical sciences.
- He is a pioneer orthopedic surgeon who has been involved in designing and developing instruments for Minimally Invasive Total Knee Replacement surgery which now being used all across the world.
- Padma Shri award presented by President of India for his surgical excellence and contribution to the field of Orthopaedics – 2014
- Vishishita Chikitsa Ratan – 2012
- Life time award by Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS) – 2016
- Distinguished Service Award by Delhi Doctor Association – 2004
- Knee Ratna Award by Indian Medical Association, New Delhi – 2002
- Dr. Yash Gulati is an internationally reputed orthopedic surgeon who is currently associated with one of the top hospitals in India – Indrapratha Apollo, New Delhi.
- He has felicitated with one of India’s highest civilian awards, the Padma Shri by the President of India for his services and remarkable contribution in the field of Orthopedics.
- Dr. Gulati is an acknowledged pioneer in the concept of Gyroscope based computer Navigation technology for Knee Replacement in India. He has performed the largest series of Total Knee Replacement using I- Assist Navigation Technique in India.
- He is also known for performing the largest series of Total Hip Replacement for Sickle Cell Disease in India and has treated the youngest patient with Total Hip Replacement
- He has operated on many high profile cases, including three former Presidents of India, former Prime Minister of India and many Ambassadors and prominent personalities such as family members of President and Prime Minister of Mozambique.
- He has also treated many of the prominent sports star of India and was the Honorary Consultant to the Sports Authority of India for treating and advising national players.
- Padma Shri by Govt. of India.
- Commendation from President – Indian Orthopaedic Association
- Commendation by Delhi Orthopaedic Association
- Romesh Chander – Best Doctor Award for service to the elderly
- Commendation Award by International President of Lions Club
- Dr. Subhash Jangid is one of the best orthopedic surgeons in Delhi-NCR and is currently the Director, Orthopaedics and Joint Reconstruction, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon.
- He has more than 20,000 orthopedic surgeries to his credit and expertise in various kinds of procedures, such as joint replacement, arthroplasty, Minimally Invasive knee surgery, knee braces for osteoarthritis and many more.
- He is a renowned expert in the field of joint replacement surgeries and performs around 600 joint replacement surgeries every year.
- Dr. Jangid is internationally renowned and treats several overseas patients routinely. He is the first in India to use computer navigation (NAV3) technology for knee replacement surgery. He is also the first surgeon in India to use Bone graft substitute for treatment of tumor patients.
- First to bring in the latest Computer Navigation technique for joint replacement in India.
- Pioneered with NAVIO Robot for knee replacement in Delhi NCR.
- Development of protocols for patient management post-surgery for knee and hip replacement procedures.
- Part of the team for setting up the bone bank at the renowned All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Dr. Sanjiv Kumar Marya is amongst the top orthopedic surgeons in India and is presently the Chairman of Bone & Joint Institute at Medanta – The Medicity.
- He has a rich clinical experience of performing more than 15,000 joint replacement surgeries, including more than 3,500 Bilateral Total Knee Replacements (Simultaneous Knee Replacement) and over 3000 hip replacement surgeries.
- Dr. Marya has obtained several prestigious fellowships from internationally renowned institutions, including Fellowship of International College of Surgeons (USA), coveted AO Trauma Fellowship (Switzerland) and Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS).
- He specializes in the areas of Joint Replacement Surgery for upper and lower limb joints (both Primary and Revision surgery) and Trauma Management based on AO Principles.
- Distinguished Service Award by Indian Medical Association (New Delhi) along with Heart Care Foundation of India
- Bharat Jyoti Award
- Knee Ratna Award given by WCFI, IHA (Delhi)
Connect with Experts & Get a Free Personalized Quote
- Dr. I.P.S. Oberoi is one of the best knee replacement and hip replacement surgeons in India and is the Director – Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy at Artemis hospital, Gurgaon.
- He is amongst the first few surgeons to perform minimally invasive reconstructive surgery, Keyhole surgery approach (Arthroscopy) for Shoulder, Elbow, Hip and Ankle.
- He is a recognized expert in the treatment of multi-ligament and complex injuries of the Knee. He has performed more than 7000 joint replacements with excellent success rate.
- Dr. Oberoi has obtained extensive training in Joint replacement and reconstructive trauma surgery from top medical institutions in Germany, U.K., France and South Africa.
- He has a vast international experience as a visiting surgeon in medical facilities and hospitals in Yemen, Oman, Iraq, Iran and Syria.
- Training in joint replacement and adult reconstructive trauma surgery from Klinik and Poliklinik for Unfall-Hand & Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitatsklinikum, Munster, Germany.
- Training in Joint replacement at Nuffield Hospital, Exeter, U.K and Joint Replacement Unit, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, U.K.
- Training in knee reconstructive surgery from Henriettenstiftung, Hannover, Germany.
- Training in shoulder surgery at Center Hospitalier, St Gregoire, Rhein, France and Cape Shoulder Clinic, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Training in knee arthroscopy and reconstruction from Sporthopaedicum, Straubing, Germany and Rosebank Clinic, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Dr. Bhushan Nariani is the Director – Joint replacement at Institute of Bone, Joint Replacement, Orthopedics Spine & Sports Medicine, BLK Super Specialty Hospital.
- He is one of the best joint replacement surgeons in Delhi with specialization in knee replacement and hip replacement for primary, complex and revision surgeries. He also specializes general trauma surgery to complex revision arthroplasty and joint reconstruction.
- He is experienced in the use of the latest technologies in the field of orthopedics, such as computer navigation system for knee replacement.
- He is credited for performing 900 joint replacement surgeries every year with an excellent outcome record.
- He has obtained several national and international fellowships and trained in advanced courses.
- Training in advanced course in Total Joint Replacement (Impaction Bone Grafting) – Netherlands
- Fellowship in Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy in Adelaide at Flinders University at Liverpool Hospital and in Fairfield Geriatric Hospital in Sydney
- Fellowship in Total Hip Replacement in Putlingon University, Germany
- Fellowship in Revision Total Joint Replacement at Hamburg, Germany
- Visiting Fellow – Joint Replacement Surgery at Spire Southampton Hospital, Southampton, London
- Dr. Nitiraj Oberoi is a leading orthopedic surgeon in India with specialization in joint replacement, arthroscopy services and sports medicine.
- He is associated with top-tier hospitals in Delhi, including SCI International Hospital, Fortis Escorts, Rockland Clinic and others.
- He is also involved as a Consultant with the Sports Authority of India and has treated several players for the nation.
- He has a keen interest in the areas of Knee,Shoulder and Hip Surgery including primary, revision and complex joint replacement surgery and Arthroscopic surgery, as well as management of fracture and trauma care.
- Gold medal during M.S.(Orthopedic surgery)
- Associated with the British Orthopedic Association and the British Commonwealth Sports Federation
- Member of the Irish Orthopedic Association
- Dr. B K Singh is one of the most experienced and renowned joint replacement surgeons who is currently the Associate Director at Artemis Hospital, one of the best orthopedic hospitals in India.
- He has performed over 5000 Arthroplasty surgeries in his extensive medical career and his area of specialization include Total Knee replacement, Uni condylar knee replacement, Total Ankle replacement, Hip resurfacing with computer navigation, Bilateral Hip Replacement and Knee replacement and many others.
- Dr. Singh has completed training in Robotic Total Knee Replacement and Robotic Total Hip Replacement surgeries from Japan and he is one of the few orthopedic surgeons in India to perform such procedures.
- He is also an acknowledged pioneer in the procedure Uni condylar knee replacement which is a less invasive surgery alternative to total knee replacement.
- Vishist Sewa Medal for his outstanding contribution in the field of Joint Replacement surgery by the President of India, 2005
- Dr. Ramneek Mahajan is a renowned orthopedic surgeons in Delhi and currently works as Director (Orthopaedics) & Head Joint Reconstruction (Hip & Knee) Unit at Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket.
- He has performed more than 10000 orthopedic surgeries including 2500 Joint Replacement in his illustrious medical career.
- He has a key interest in the procedures – Primary, Revision Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy.
- Fellowship in Joint Replacement, Singapore.
- Fellowship in Joint Replacement, Germany
- Advanced Training in Arthroscopy, Munich
- Fellowship in Joint Replacement, Brisbane
- Dr. Abhijit Dey is a leading orthopedic surgeon with specialization in Joint Replacement Surgery and Trauma surgery.
- He has performed over 5000 orthopedic and trauma surgeries and his area of special focus include treatment of complex fractures and trauma related injuries as well as reconstructive surgery, correction of musculoskeletal deformities and other procedures.
- He has been trained at most coveted medical institution of the nation – All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- He has a key interest in following procedures: Joint Replacement Surgery, Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement and Trauma Surgery.
- Dr. Dinesh Pardiwala is one of the best orthopedic surgeons in Mumbai and is currently the Director of, Arthroscopy, Sports Orthopaedics & Shoulder Service and Head of the Centre for Sports Medicine at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital.
- Dr Pardiwala is highly credited for several of his breakthrough surgeries including performing the first Reverse Shoulder Replacement in India, first Stem Cell Transplant (Autologous Chondrocyte Stem Cell transplant) for repair of the damaged knee and first to conduct Navigation guided arthroscopic ACL repair in India.
- He has a rich experience of performing over 1600 surgeries and more than 3000 Arthroscopic surgeries at Kokilaben Hospital with excellent outcomes that surpasses the international standards.
- Dr. Dinshaw is credited for introducing Osteochondral Autograft Transfer (1999), and Osteochondral Allograft Transplants (2001) and performed first fibrin based Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation using Cartilage Stem Cell Transplant technique in 2008 in India.
- Only Indian orthopedic surgeon in a group of top 10 international surgeons who were invited to perform a live demonstration for Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery at the ISAKOS Congress, Toronto, Canada.
- First Indian Surgeon to be invited to Seoul to perform a live surgical demonstration at the Korean Orthopaedic Association Conference.
- Dr. Vinay Joshi is a top orthopedic surgeon in Mumbai who specializes in various kinds of joint replacement surgeries.
- He is associated with one best bone & Joint replacement hospitals in Mumbai and has obtained training from internationally reputed medical facilities in India and UK.
- He has performed over 1500 joint replacement surgeries in medical career including primary and complex revision surgeries.
- He also specializes in procedures, such as High Flex knee replacement surgery, gender specific knee replacement as well as Unicondylar Knee Replacement Surgery.
- Dr. Joshi has performed more than 60 surgeries with ceramic on ceramic hip replacement surgeries.
- Dr. Ravi V is one of the best knee surgeons in Chennai who practices at one of the top orthopedic hospitals Apollo Hospital, Greams Road, Chennai
- His area of specialization include knee surgery, joint surgery, treatment of arthritic conditions and lower back pain.
- Dr. Ravi is also a specialist in spine surgery and is the first surgeon to perform minimally invasive surgery in South India.
- Gold Medalist from CMC, Vellore
What are the types of Knee Replacement?
There are four types of knee replacement procedures that are offered by almost every knee arthroscopy hospital in India. These type for explained below:
Total Knee Replacement (TKR) or Total Knee Arthroscopy
This procedure is the most common type of knee replacement. It is recommended for people who suffer from a persistent joint pain which restricts them from performing daily tasks. I
During a Total Knee Replacement, the surgeon removes the surface of the thigh bone and shin bone that have been damaged by osteoarthritis or other causes. These bones are then replaced with artificial implants that are selected specifically to fit knee’s anatomy.
Some special surgical instruments are used to cut out the arthritic or damaged bone accurately and then the healthy bone underneath is shaped to fit exactly into the implant parts. Basically, the surgery involves four-step process.
- Preparing the bone: The damaged cartilage surfaces are removed from the ends of the thigh bone (called femur) and shinbone (called tibia), along with a small part of the underlying bone.
- Positioning of implants: The metal tibial and femoral implants are placed accurately and mostly cements are used press-fit them to the bone.
- Inserting a plastic part underneath the patella (kneecap). The surgeon may require to resurface the underside of the kneecap to fix it to the plastic part properly.
- Placing the medical grade plastic spacer: This is put between the tibial and femoral prosthetic implants to create a smooth surface that allows smooth gliding between the bones and restore the motion of the natural knee.
It is estimated that 90% of people in the world who had a total knee replacement operation have experienced a drastic improvement in the knee function and pain.
Partial Knee Replacement (also known as unicompartmental knee replacement)
This procedure is recommended when only one side of the knee is affected by arthritis.
It is a smaller procedure and can be performed through a smaller incision than total knee replacement. This procedure aims to restore the function of a particular component of the knee joint and improve the partial knee damage. Partial knee replacement enables a sufficient range of stability and motion of the knee, allowing the patient to move without pain.
During this procedure, the surgeon removes the portion of the knee (including bone and cartilage) that is damaged by arthritis and replaces that part with implants made of metal and plastic.
Patients with partial knee replacement may recover faster, have shorter hospital, reduced postoperative discomfort and less surgical trauma to tissues, than in case of TKR.
However, it’s only suitable when the knee ligaments are strong enough in the patient.
Knee-cap Replacement (also known as Patellofemoral Arthroplasty)
This procedure is performed to treat the knee damage caused by an injury or degeneration due to rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or post-traumatic arthritic effects.
During the surgery, only the under-surface of the kneecap is replaced. In some cases, surgeons may advise against this procedure as total knee replacement surgery has a higher success rate and more effective results.
This surgery is used to correct the position of an already implanted artificial knee prosthesis.
It is performed as secondary surgery when the previously placed prosthetic implant becomes loose or the joint dislocates because of strain put due to heavyweight, running or walking. These activities can lead to inflammation between the knee joint which forces the implants to move from their original position.
Knee replacement can be performed for only one knee or both knees depending on the patient’s condition. Replacement of single knee is called unilateral knee replacement and the double knee replacement is called bilateral knee replacement.
Minimally Invasive knee replacement surgery in India
This technique has become increasingly popular around the around and is performed in all the top-tier hospitals in India with high success rate. The method is a modification of the traditional approach and the key difference between the two is the size of incision. In the minimally invasive surgery, surgeons makes a smaller incision of about 4-6 inches, much shorter than that in traditional surgery.
The benefits of minimally invasive knee replacement surgery include reduction in postoperative pain, less trauma and scarring of the tissue, decreases blood loss and a speedy recovery.
What are the facilities available at the best knee replacement hospital in India?
The top knee surgery hospitals in India are globally renowned medical facilities that provide high quality patient care with the best possible medical expertise. These hospitals are a mark of true excellence and are known for meeting the unique demands of domestic as well as international patients with their world-class healthcare services and state-of-the-art infrastructure. The best knee surgery hospitals in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and other cities provide comprehensive and holistic knee care to the patients with complete rehabilitation services. The advanced imaging technology such as MRI, CT scan and others are used for quick and accurate diagnosis of the patient’s knee condition and a treatment plan is determined based on their results.
Healthcare in India is highly developed and some of the world’s most advanced technologies for knee replacement surgery are routinely at the apex hospitals. The use of such technology enables the hospitals and doctors in India to deliver best clinical results in minimum time span.
Highlights of the top knee surgery hospitals in India are:
- Comprehensive care facilities that are centres of excellence for orthopedic care
- Latest technology including Robot-assisted surgery (Robotic Knee replacement surgery), Computer Navigation System, patient specific instrumentation (PSI) and others that enables precise positioning and accurate alignment of the implant.
- Modular operation theatres with international standard infection control protocols. These are outfitted with ultra-clean laminar air flow system, HEPA filters and other facilities.
- Advanced Diagnostics techniques such as 256 slice CT , 1.5 T/3T MRI, PET scan and other
- High quality prosthesis and implants are used for the treatment
- Arthroscopic Equipment for performing technically challenging procedures
- Holistic and specialized rehabilitation services with facilities for physiotherapy, occupational therapy, hydrotherapy and others to help patients have a smooth recovery after their joint replacement surgery. It allows them to return back to normal activity at the earliest.
- International patient services: Cater to specific needs of foreign patients and offer facilities such as airport pick-up and drop, visa assistance, global cuisine, multi-lingual translators/interpreters and many more.
Some of the best orthopedic hospitals in India are listed here:
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute
- Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon
- Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Max Super Specialty Hospital, Delhi
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi
- Shalby Hospitals, Ahmedabad
- Nanavati hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research, Mumbai
- Columbia Asia Referral Hospital, Bangalore
- Gleneagles Global Hospital, Bangalore
- Apollo Hospital, Greams Road, Chennai
- Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai
Read Top 20 Orthopedic Hospitals in India to know more about these hospitals and their remarkable features.
Why choose to have knee surgery in India?
The major reasons behind the increasing popularity of Knee Surgery hospitals in India making the country one of the most sought after destination for the westerners are listed below:
- International standard medical care
- High quality of healthcare services
- Use of latest techniques and advanced technology
- High success rate of knee replacement surgery in India
- Low cost treatment
- English speaking nursing staff
- Large pool of internationally trained surgeons
What is the Cost of Knee Replacement Surgery in India?
The knee replacement cost in India is remarkably less in comparison to various other countries, including the United States of America, Australia, Singapore, and the United Kingdom. This is a prime reason for the uprise in the number of international patients traveling to India every year for knee replacement, in addition to other orthopedic treatment and procedures.
The cost of knee replacement surgery in India starts at USD 4000 and may vary depending on several factors. Some of the main factors that impact the cost of knee surgery are:
- Type of surgery
- Whether one knee (unilateral) or both knees (bilateral) will be operated
- Quality of implant
- Location and accreditations of the hospital
- Surgeon’s experience
- Room category
- Whether other medical complications are involved or not
The overall cost of knee replacement in India remains highly affordable for a foreign patient, even after adding up the expense on travel, lodging, and food for the duration of stay.
It is reported that a patient from the United States can save up to 80 percent of the price paid for the same surgery in the Western countries.
Cost of different types of knee surgery in India starts from :
|Unilateral Total Knee Replacement||USD 4000|
|Bilateral Total Knee Replacement||USD 6000|
|Partial Knee Replacement||USD 6000|
|Revision (single) Knee Replacement||USD 7000|
|ACL Reconstruction||USD 3500|
|Minimally Invasive knee replacement with computer navigation||Starts from USD 5000|