5 Best IVF doctor in India
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) has become a commonly accepted and effective procedure for couples struggling to conceive a baby. Due to unhealthy eating habits, sedentary lifestyle and medical conditions, poor reproductive health is a rising concern worldwide. Infertility can be a very distressing condition, impacting physical, mental and emotional well-being of a person.
In vitro fertilization or IVF is one of the most widely used assisted reproductive technology (ART) by couples struggling with infertility. IVF is a reproductive technique in which the sperm from the male partner is mixed with the egg from the woman under laboratory conditions, instead on a human body. Once the egg is fertilized, it develops into embryo, which is ten transferred to the mother’s body.
Over the years, IVF has improved with the use of advanced technology and laboratory techniques. It can be combined with various other reproductive technologies to address a vast array of infertility issues. In simply terms,
Connect with Experts & Get a Free Personalized Quote for IVF Treatment in India
IVF can be an option for couples suffering from various kinds of fertility problems, including blocked fallopian tubes, ovulation disorder, uterine fibroids in women and unexplained infertility, sexual dysfunction and other infertility issues in male. It can also be used in the case of genetic disorder or when women had their fallopian tubes removed.
IVF is the most effective ART procedure which can be done using your own eggs and partners sperms, or using donor eggs. Advanced techniques such as genetic selection helps prevent genetic problems with the conception of the child. IVF significantly improves the chances of having a healthy baby for couples who have lost all hopes of conceiving naturally. However, the success of IVF treatment in a particular case depends upon the cause of infertility and age of partners.
Who are IVF specialists?
IVF specialists are doctors trained in the techniques of assisted reproductive technology and infertility management. Gynaecologists can pursue further specialization in reproductive medicine to obtain expertise in IVF, IUI, ICSI and several others methods. These medical specialists can help both males and females with reproductive health issues.
What should I look for while selecting an IVF specialist in India?
For an IVF procedure, various specialists including Gynecologist, Embryologists, Andrologists, infertility expert nurses, lab technicians and others are involved. There are many renowned infertility doctor in India who are associated with the top clinics and hospitals in the country. They cater to a wide range of services for domestic and international patients. Infertility and IVF treatment can be stressful for patients, and it is crucial to choose an expert in the field for the treatment. There are several parameters that should be considered while looking for the best IVF doctors in India:
Experience: The years of professional experience in the relevant field is an important factor. The top IVF specialists in India have decades of experience for treating complex cases and a deep understanding of various types of conditions and complications.
Qualifications: The credentials of the doctor including their degrees and specialization in Gynaecology & Obstetrics and other fields should be considered.
Trainings and Fellowships: The best infertility doctor in India are internationally trained and have fellowships from prestigious medical institutions. They have experience of working and practising at the renowned healthcare centres in India and abroad.
Associated hospitals: The clinic or hospital that a doctor works at should also be considered. The accreditation and location are two important points that one must keep in mind. The accreditation certifies the quality of care and facilities provided by the hospital.
Reviews and Feedbacks: The reviews given by the patients who have been treated by doctor can give more information about the doctor and how well she/he communicates with the patient.
Qualifications – MBBS, DGO, MD, FICOG, FIAMS
Experience – 30+ years
- Dr. Sonia Malik is one of the most experienced infertility and best IVF specialist in India. She is a highly qualified and trained expert in Gynaecology/Obstetrics and reproductive medicine.
- She has received many awards for her outstanding work and contributions to the filed of medicine, including IMA South Delhi Award for Professional Excellence, Dr Jagdishwari Prasad Mishra Obst & Gynae Award & Oration and IMA (Indian Medical Association) Lifetime Achievement Award, to name a few.
- Dr. Sonia Malik has obtained Fellow from Indian College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of India (FICOG) and Fellow of International Academy of medical Science.
- Adding to her exemplary career is the credit of performing several thousands of IVF and Assisted reproductive technique (ART) cycles. She has been a Scientific Collaborator at Reproductive Research Center, Clevland Clinic, USA, and is also the founder & director of a renowned IVF Centre brand, Southend Fertility & IVF.
- Her area of specialization include Reproductive Endocrinology & Immunology, Genital Tuberculosis, Advances in Assisted Reproductive Techniques (IVF, ICSI, IMSI) and Premature Ovarian Failure.
Education – MBBS, MS – Obstetrics & Gynaecology, MRCOG (UK)
Experience – 19 Years
- Dr. Puneet Rana Arora is a highly renowned infertility specialist in Delhi-NCR with expertise in Reproductive Endocrinology, IVF/ART, Gynaecology/Obstetrics, and fertility treatment.
- She is internationally trained fertility expert with over a decade’s experience of working at National Health Services in the UK.
- She is credited for successfully treating a number of complex infertility cases with different kinds of reproductive medicine technique.
- Dr. Puneet is recognized for providing quality medical care with evidence-based techniques and a personalized approach. She has obtained Masters degree in Reproductive Medicine from the reputed University of Bristol, UK. She further pursued an extensive training in the field of Reproductive Medicine, and has a clinical experience of working at St. Mary’s Hospital, Manchester, UK.
- Dr. Puneet Rana Arora specializes in a variety of Assisted Reproductive Techniques, including IVF, Fertility preservation in cancer patients, implantation failures, and treatment for Premature Ovarian Failure, male and female infertility.
- She is a member of Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, (MRCOG) UK, and several other national and international medical organizations such as British Fertility Society (UK), International Society for Fertility Preservation, International Society for Mild Approaches in Assisted Reproduction, Denmark, European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Belgium. She is also the founding member of Fertility Preservation Society of India.
Education – MBBS, MD – Obstetrics & Gynaecology, FOGSI
Experience – 25 years
- Dr Sonia Naik is an expert with more than two decades of experience in the field of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Infertility treatment.
- She has obtained medical training in the area if Infertility, Fetal Medicine, Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery and Hysteroscopy from top institutions in the country and abroad. She has trained in the latest techniques, including Laparoscopy, Hysteroscopy and High Risk Obstetrics at the Bradford Royal Infirmary in the United Kingdom. During this time, her mentor was Dr Sian Jones, a pioneering surgeon in Laparoscopic Surgery in Bradford, UK.
- Dr Sonia Naik has a rich clinical experience, including being the Research Officer in Gynecologic Oncology at the Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital (IRCH) in the most prestigious institution of the country – All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- She is actively involved in organizing and participating in educational and training workshops for pregnant women in New Delhi. Her experience in management of high-risk obstetrics has gained her the reputation for improving clinical outcomes in the most challenging cases.
- She is an active member of various medical organization including FOGSI, Fetal Medicine Society and Indian Menopause Society, Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction and many others.
Connect with Experts & Get a Free Personalized Quote for IVF Treatment in India
Qualifications – MBBS, DGO – PGIMS Rohtak, DNB – Army Hospital, Research and Referral (Delhi)
Experience – 16 years
- Dr. Sonu Bhallara Ahlawat is a trained and experienced IVF specialist in India, with expertise in several techniques of reproductive medicine.
- She has obtained training in the Artificial Reproductive Techniques and Endoscopic surgeries from the highly reputed ART Unit of Army Hospital Research & Referral, New Delhi.
- After receiving specialization in General Obstetrics & Gynaecology, she pursued trained in Laparoscopic Surgeries and Artificial Reproductive Techniques, including In Vitro Fertilization, Intra Uterine Insemination, follicular monitoring and all other procedures relating to treatment of infertility conditions in males and females.
She also specializes in reproductive medicine methods such as donor egg and donor semen program, fertility preservation (egg freezing). She has a vast experience in managing complex cases including recurrent pregnancy loss, High risk pregnancy, sexual dysfunction and Endoscopic procedures such as hysteroscopy and laparoscopy.
- Dr. Sonu is well recognized for her outstanding work in her field and has been awarded Silver Medal at 25th Annual Conference of Association of Obstetric & Gynecology Delhi (AOGD).
- She is actively involved in social work, such as charitable camps and free clinics. She is a member of several medical societies such as Federation of Obstetric & Gynecological Society of India (FOGSI), American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), Fertility Preservation Society of India (FPS), Association of Obstetric & Gynecology Delhi (AOGD), among others.
- She has published several research papers in the field of reproductive medicine and authored book chapter in this area.
Qualifications – MBBS, DGO – Diploma in Gynecology and Obstetrics, DNB, FNB, MNAMS
Experience – 18 years
- Dr. Aanchal Agarwal is one of the top IVF specialist in India, specifically the Delhi – National Capital Region (Delhi- NCR). She has specialization in Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Infertility treatment and Reproductive Medicine.
- She has received training in Reproductive Endocrinology and has a post-doctoral fellowship of the National Board (FNB) in Reproductive Medicine. She is experienced in treating difficult cases with good outcomes.
- Dr. Anchal Agarwal specializes in the management of all infertility related issues in males as well as females. Due to her personalized and caring approach to the patients in managing their problems of her patients, she has great patient reviews and feedbacks. She is also credited for having one of the highest pregnancy rates. She has a keen interest in fertility-related laparoscopic and hysteroscopic procedures for conditions such as ovarian cyst, fibroids, polyps, tubal blockage, septum and others.
- She is often invited as a faculty at various national and international platforms on infertility issues and reproductive medicine. Dr. Anchal has published various research papers in peer reviewed journal and contributed articles as well as chapters in reputed journals and books.
Frequently asked Questions (FAQs) about IVF in India
Q. What are the steps of IVF procedure?
The IVF procedure may have variations based on specific needs and requirements of the patient, their age, infertility conditions and several other factors. After initial consultation, the doctor will determine the tests and procedures for the patients. However, the basic steps for IVF that are applicable in most cases are:
- Fertility medications: The drugs to stimulate egg production will be administered over a period of time. This medicine is to help the ovaries of woman to produce several eggs that can be used for fertilization. This process is referred to as ovulation induction. This may include daily injections and other form of drugs.
- Egg retrieval: After stimulation, the eggs will be taken from the body through a minor surgical process. The doctor will give local anaesthesia and mild sedation to make the woman feel comfortable during the procedure. An ultrasound imaging instrument will be used to guide a hollow needle through the pelvic cavity and remove the eggs from the ovaries.
- Semen sample: The male partner will be asked to produce a sperm sample. The sample may get processed and the specialist may choose the best quality sperm for ISCI fertilization with the eggs.
- Fertilization: The sperm and eggs will be mixed together in a petri dish and stored in a laboratory for fertilization. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) can be used, in which a sperm is directly injected into the egg to achieve fertilization. The eggs will be monitored for fertilization and development of embryo.
- Embryo transfer: After the fertilization, the embryo(s) will be transferred into the woman’s uterus. This is typically done after three to five days following egg retrieval and fertilization. If the implantation is successful, the pregnancy will be followed. It normally occurs around six to ten days after the egg retrieval.
The doctor will ask the woman to have a pregnancy test using a kit or a blood test at the hospital to confirm the pregnancy. Many couple do not have successful results after the first attempt only, but they need not worry. After three full IVF cycle or more attempts, they may have the expected outcome. The doctor will guide you about the cycles and embryo freezing.
Q. What are the tests involved in the IVF treatment?
The IVF doctor in India will recommend a series of tests before starting with the IVF procedure to make sure your body is healthy enough for the procedure and full-term pregnancy. These tests include blood tests to check Haemoglobin levels, blood group of both partners, blood glucose level, and if there are any infections. Some specific fertility tests for women are done to evaluate their ovarian reserve, ovulation status, PCOS or any other medical condition that may affect the outcome of the procedure. A semen analysis is done before the IVF treatment for the male partner. There might be some other tests as well which are usually suggested based on the health status of the couple.
Q. What is the success rate of IVF in India?
IVF success rate in India is at par with that of the best facilities of the world. The top IVF centres in India take pride in a record of over 90% successful outcomes. These hospitals The appropriate selection of patients, use of advanced technology and high quality care, all these factors contribute to the high success rate of IVF in India.
Q. What is the IVF cost in India?
The IVF prices depend on several individual factors related to the patients. The precise cost of the total procedure is determined after initial complete evaluation. It may cost more if special tests or procedures are needed in addition to the basic process.
However, the cost of IVF in India is remarkably lower than the price for the same procedure in other countries, such as the USA, UK, Germany, and Singapore. The factors such as choice of hospital, location, and doctor’s experience may also impact the overall cost. The final price may also be affected if FET (frozen embryo transfer) or third-party reproduction (egg donor/gestational surrogate) is used.
Q. How many embryos can be retrieved and transferred?
This depends on the woman’s age and her general health. The IVF doctor in India may recommend a single or multiple embryo transfer for a particular case. The advantage of multiple embryos transfer is that it may increase chances of pregnancy for some patients, but a single embryo transfer is safer for the health of mother as well as baby.