Head and Neck Cancer Treatment in India
Head and neck cancer is a group of cancers that start in any tissue of the head or the neck. This cancer typically includes the cancer of the salivary glands, nose, mouth, lips, throat, sinus, and larynx.
Head and neck cancer treatment in India is availed to patients who suffer from any cancer that begins in the squamous cells of the mucosal lining or surfaces within the neck and head. Apart from squamous cells carcinomas, head and neck cancer may also affect the salivary gland, which is made up of different types of cells.
Head and neck cancer treatment in India is commonly available across different hospitals for oncology care. Cancer of the head and neck is one of the most common cancers in India (almost 30 percent of all cancers) and therefore, the country has maintained a wide network of hospitals that deliver specialized cancer treatment and care to such patients.
A number of patients from abroad prefer to undergo head and neck cancer treatment in India. Some of the reasons that drive patients to India for cancer treatment include affordable cost, better availability of high-end technology, the presence of highly experienced doctors, and negligible waiting time.
Patients who opt for head and neck cancer treatment in India are treated with the help of a holistic approach. This approach not only targets the cancer cells but also intends to improve the overall quality of life of the patients after treatment.
Earlier, the aim of a majority of head and neck cancer treatment hospitals in India was to ensure cancer-free survival through treatment. However, this criterion has drastically changed in the last few years. Now the best doctors for head and neck cancer treatment in India deliver treatment that not only ensures cancer-free survival but also aims at restoring the normal functions concerning the speech, taste, smell, and swallowing.
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment Hospitals in India
The best hospitals for head and neck cancer treatment in India are located in different parts of the country. Some of the leading head and neck cancer hospitals in India are located in the top metropolitan cities, including Chennai, Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Hyderabad, Bangalore, and Mumbai.
Gone are the days when patients used to rely on just one medical expert or surgeon for the treatment of cancer. Now cancer treatment involves a multi-disciplinary approach to ensure better outcomes and survival rates. Same is the case with head and neck cancer treatment in India.
The top hospitals for head and neck cancer treatment in India deliver medical and surgical services to patients through a team of highly experienced and qualified cancer specialists. The team that delivers head and neck cancer treatment in India usually includes a neck and head cancer surgeon, radiation oncologist, speech therapist, medical oncologist, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, and an anesthetist among other specialists.
Apart from the medical and surgical cancer treatment services, the best hospitals for head and neck cancer treatment in India also provide a plethora of other facilities that a patient may need during their course of treatment. These include a well-equipped diagnostic facility, pathology lab, and rehabilitation center.
The top head and neck cancer treatment hospitals in India have a separate department to handle queries and concerns of the patients planning their medical trip to India for cancer treatment. Each patient is assigned a separate case manager to handle all their questions and guides them through their complete medical trip.
Best Head and Neck Cancer Treatment Hospitals
Some of the best hospitals for Head and Neck Cancer Treatment include the following:
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment Cost in India
Patients from abroad prefer to come to India for cancer treatment because of many reasons. The affordable cost of cancer treatment in India is one of the leading reasons behind their decision to fly thousands of miles to seek treatment.
The same is true about the cost of head and neck cancer treatment in India. It is estimated that head and neck cancer treatment cost in India is one of the lowest in the world. A patient traveling from abroad for head and neck cancer treatment in India typically saves around 60 to 70 percent of their money that they would otherwise spend in any other Western country for the same quality of medical and surgical services.
The total cost of head and neck cancer treatment in India, however, depends on several factors. Some of the main factors that dictate the head and neck cancer treatment cost in India include the following:
- Type of head and neck cancer diagnosed
- Extent of cancer and its grade
- Course of treatment recommended by the doctor
- Duration of hospital stay
- Surgeon’s fees
- Anesthesia cost
- Hospital charges
Despite all these factors, the total cost of head and neck cancer treatment in India remains one of the lowest in the world. This is the reason why cancer patients from abroad are able to seek treatment in one of the best hospitals for head and neck cancer treatment in India and are still able to save thousands of dollars.
The following table indicates the starting cost of head and neck cancer treatment in India (for different cancer types) and the US:
|Type of Cancer
|Salivary gland cancer
Need help finding the right hospital?
If you are not sure about which hospital to choose, consult our team for free. We will recommend a quality hospital for you and even get you comparative quotations from providers across the globe.
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment Surgeons in India
It is a globally renowned fact that India houses some of the best cancer specialists in the world. The best cancer treatment doctors in India have carved a name for themselves at a global level by consistently meeting the expectations of the patients and for maintaining a great success record when it comes to positive outcomes of cancer treatment.
The top head and neck cancer surgeons in India are educated and trained from some of the most prestigious medical institutes in the world. They believe in the principle of continuous medical education and therefore, participate in different events held across the world every year to update their knowledge and skills.
Based on the type of cancer that the patient is suffering from, the leading head and neck cancer treatment specialist in India guides his or her team about the medical history of the patient. He or she also helps them prepare for the surgery.
The best head and neck cancer surgeons in India practice at some of the leading cancer treatment hospitals in the country. A patient from abroad can seek consultation with the top head and neck cancer treatment doctor in India through direct appointment or via Lyfboat.
Head and Neck Cancer: An Overview
Head and neck cancer is actually a group of cancers that includes cancer of the oral cavity, nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses, pharynx, larynx, and salivary glands. Head and neck cancers are amongst the most common malignancies in India and around the world.
We make it easy for you to get quality medical opinions and find the right healthcare providers globally at best prices. Save even more money via our patient discount program! Certain procedures qualify for a Lyfboat discount. Inquire now to learn more!
? Compare top hospitals
? Save up to 80% on medical costs
? Price transparency, quick responses
? One click, multiple cost-estimates
? Get free second opinions from experts
Types of Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is typically categorized into five different types, according to the location of the tumor. These include the following:
- Nasopharyngeal cancer: The tumorous cells present in the upper part of the throat behind the nose lead to the development of nasopharyngeal cancer.
- Oropharyngeal or oral cancer: It is the cancer in the middle part of the throat, which includes the mouth and tongue of the oral cavity.
- Hypopharyngeal or laryngeal cancer: The presence of cancer in the voice box (larynx) is known as laryngeal cancer.
- Para nasal sinus and nasal cavity cancer: Para nasal sinuses are the areas that surround the nasal cavity and are filled with the air. A nasal cavity is a space behind the nose through which air passes to the throat after entering into the nose. Cancer of these areas is known as paranasal sinus and nasal cavity sinus cancer, respectively.
- Salivary gland cancer: Tumor present in the salivary glands is known as salivary gland cancer. Salivary glands play a key role in human digestion and help keep the mouth moist by releasing salivary juice. Salivary glands are present near the jawbone and beneath the tongue.
Head and Neck Cancer Diagnosis
The diagnosis of head and neck cancer treatment in India depends on the set of symptoms that the patient may experience. The following are some of the common warning signs that the head and neck cancer surgeon in India may first identify and then order a few diagnostic tests:
- Foul breath
- Swelling in the throat
- Changes in voice or increased hoarseness
- A sore throat that does not go away
- Oral ulcer with red or white patch
- Nasal congestion or obstruction
Based on the initial assessment (physical examination and medical history), the head and neck cancer treatment specialist in India may order a combination of the following tests to diagnose the condition and the type of cancer:
- Urine and blood test
- Bone scan
- Computed tomography (CT) scan
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
- magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
Sometimes, the doctor may even order a Panorex, which is a special X-ray of the teeth, upper and lower jaws, sinuses, and the temporomandibular joints (TMJs).
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment Options in India
Head and neck cancer treatment in India is available at world-class cancer hospitals that provide quality medical and surgical services at an extremely affordable cost. These specialized oncology centers in India are globally renowned for their excellent treatment outcomes and success records.
Head and neck cancer treatment in India is provided through surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy. Depending on the treatment plan prepared by the surgeon, the patient is either treated with the help of one of these treatments or a combination of these treatment options.
Head and Neck Cancer Surgery in India
Surgery for head and neck cancer treatment is carried out to remove all the cancer cells that can be visualized or identified by the surgeon. The surgical method and approach used to eradicate cancer cells from the affected region depend on the type of head and neck cancer that the patient is suffering from.
- Surgery for oral cancer: Surgery is the best possible treatment for cancer that affects the lips, mouth, and the oral cavity. The cancerous tissue is removed along with some of the healthy tissues around them by making a local incision. The mandible is removed in some cases, especially in the cases where the cancer has been spread to the jaw bone.
Following the removal of the tumor, a reconstructive surgery is conducted to reinstate the appearance of the patient. Sometimes, a skin graft, dental implant, or free flap surgery is required to restore the function of the removed parts of the oral cavity.
- Surgery for oropharyngeal cancer: Oropharyngeal cancers are not usually treated with surgery as it is difficult to reach the back of the tongue without dividing the jaw bones or anatomical structures present in the oral cavity.
However, advancements in technology have now made it easier for the surgeons to gain access to the back of the tongue with the help of robot-assisted surgery.
- Surgery for hypopharyngeal cancer: Any stage of hypopharyngeal cancer can be treated with the help of a surgical procedure. Laryngopharyngectomy is done to remove a part of or complete larynx along with a part of the pharynx. The pharynx is reconstructed with the help of the flaps to reciprocate the swallowing movement.
- Surgery for Para nasal sinus and nasal cavity cancer: The most common treatment for nasal cavity and para nasal sinus cancer is a surgery. Rhinectomy, partial maxillectomy, and radical maxillectomy can be performed to remove the tumor depending on its location.
Radiotherapy For Head and Neck Cancer Treatment in India
High energy beams of X-rays are used as a part of radiotherapy treatment to kill cancer cells. The DNA of the cancer cells is destructed either directly or through the generation of free radicals within the tumor cells. The cancer cells get eliminated from the body naturally after the destruction of the DNA.
But radiation therapy also damages the healthy cells present in the vicinity of the tumor cells. Therefore, the patient is made to wear a mask on the head so that the radiation exposure to the healthy cells is minimal. The mask keeps the head of the patient in a static position, thus allowing the radiation oncologist to precisely target the cancer cells.
A patient on radiotherapy receives the treatment on a daily basis for a specific number of weeks or as advised by the doctor.
Chemotherapy For Head and Neck Cancer Treatment in India
Chemotherapy involves the use of potent drugs and chemicals to kill off cancer cells or slow down their growth and development. Chemotherapy for head and neck cancer is administered to the patient through an intravenous route. A catheter or port is used to supply the medicine to the body of the patient. Pumps are also installed in some patients to control the dosage and its rate.
Minimally Invasive Surgery for Head and Neck Cancer Treatment in India
- Endoscopic laser surgery: This highly advanced surgical procedure is used for the treatment of tumors in the larynx and pharynx. An endoscope is used to remove or destroy the cancer cells in the patient’s pharynx or voice box with the help of a special laser.
- Robotic surgery: Robotic surgery is a minimally-invasive technique used in the case of tumors present in the tonsils or the back of the oral cavity. A surgical robot helps the surgeon access the head and neck area to perform the surgery directly through the oral cavity. Scars on the face or neck are avoided with the help of robot-assisted surgery, which also ensures a quicker recovery.